• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Front Element Protection for Canon 500mm? (1 Viewer)

OBXGuide

Nature Photographer
After agonizing for a long time over the expenditure, I just got off the phone from ordering the Canon 500mm IS, 1.4 teleconverter and Bogen 3421/Manfrotto 393 Gimbel today. My question to 500mm owners is - Can I get or put anything on the front element to protect it? I'm used to using a UV filter on all my other lenses as a precaution. B&H said there was no way to put one on the 500mm (or maybe meant there was nothing that would fit it).

Any knowledge of my options in this matter would be appreciated.

As an after thought, I also am wondering about the tripod weight capacity. I have the Bogen 3221G (Manfrotto 055 NAT) legs and the Bogen 3011 legs. Both are rated for 13.2 lbs. , but the 10D, 500mm, teleconverter and Gimbal add up to 13.6 lbs. Does this really matter? Am I pushing the safe zone?

For use of 'protective' filters in general, have a read of this thread.

There is nothing you can put on the front of your 500/4. Keeping the lens hood on when you have it out of it's case should give more than enough protection.

I don't think the 055 NAT legs are strong enough - I tried both my sets (old and new) with 500/4 and Wimberley and I found I got some vertical 'bounce' where the legs flexed.

Thanks, Mark. I guess that's what I need to know on the lens. Now I suppose I have to go looking for a little heavier tripod. Never really thought I would actually get something as big and expensive as the 500mm. I knew I'd have to get a gimbel, but I suppose a new tripod won't be a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the rest.
Thanks again.
Fred Hurteau
www.NCBirds.com, www.OuterBanksGuidebook.com

I had to change from a Manfrotto 055 to a Gitzo 3530 and it does take the weight much better as Mark says their is no filter for the front lens when it out the bag i always use the hood attached and i cover this with a pop sock just to keep the dust and crap off the front element.I do know from other websites that living in America you can get of the internet covers for the Canon 500f4 which fit the lens same as a lencap on a normal size lens saves using that great big leather cap that is suppied, cost under $10 well worth the money.

Going off the subject slightly i have a nikon 300mm 2.8 afs vr lens which has a miniscus front element fitted to it my question is does this act as a filter or can i buy someting to protect the expensive glass thanks.

as far as i know the front glass on the 500f4 is not a major part of the exspensive optics yes it needs treating with care but although the bigest bit of glass its not the dearest bit.
Rob.

Thanks Graham and Rob. The Canon web site specs really don't tell you much. (you'd think for the price they'd give you all sorts of info) It doesn't even say if the front is threaded at all. I did find a web site that touted some specific plastic bowl lids from Corning Ware bowls that fit the hood front, and one for the lens when the hood is reversed, that work as plastic lens caps, which was something else I was interested in, instead of the "bag" that comes with it. My web search hasn't turned up any conventional snap on hard caps yet. Hopefully the hood and the supplied cover will suffice.

I found a thread somewhere that said pretty much what you mentioned, Rob, that the front glass isn't really a lens element, but pretty much a protective glass front. It said all Canon primes come with that.

Concerning the 055 tripod, I expect to only be using the tripod set very low, near the ground, or with perhaps one section out, but not the smallest leg section, since I'll usually be in a low blind. Maybe that will help. I will be off testing my new stuff for a week on the Outer Banks in a few days, so I guess I'll find out if that will minimize any flex.

I read the thread suggested about the general use of UV's, etc. Thanks for that. I think I will do some testing of my own to find out if it affects me, as the filters on my other lens are not particularly expensive ones.

Somehow I'm strangely calm waiting for the lens to come. Maybe I'm getting old and patient.......Uh, NAH. Just too busy to think about it much, I guess.
Thanks to all again for your time and comments.

Fred

Not being funny Nez, but wouldn't you be more likely to get an informed answer over on the Nikon forum?

The reason i posted on here was because last time no one answered i saw the opportunity and posted here i hope i haven't caused no upset.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back