• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How reliable are birdguide.com sightings? (1 Viewer)

Last Year's Man

Does anyone know what form of system this site uses for vetting rarity reports and / or submitters? It seems to me that anyone could report whatever they wanted and whether for malicious reasons or by mis-identitiy, have dozens of people zooting off to try and find non-existant birds.

Or come to think of it, how about a sly business-boost. eg 'I have a roadside cafe. Maybe if I report a Red Backed Shrike on the wires near my trailer I can have a very profitable week' !

Last edited:
Like any web based news agency, it is only as good as the people sending in the information. Generally it works very very well but of course is open to abuse by anyone wishing to do so.
Derek

I believe they are quite reliable, with the above caveat of observer reliability. They are also good in not reporting rare or scarce breeding birds. Which can't be said of all bird information services.

in the past they have actually posted something different to what I have told them so perhaps not always reliable.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back