• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Big problem at the weir. (1 Viewer)

Biddlybop

I apologise in advance if Im in the wrong section here. To be honest I didnt know where to post this. I need some advice please.
I have a narrowboat on the Monmouth and Brecon canal and Im moored on a weir. This isnt as you may visualise your typical river weir but basically it is a long narrow opening about 2 feet wide and about 50 yards long with a steel grill along the towpath side.
The steel bars about are about 6 inches apart and anything that gets between them just drops down to the river 70 feet below.
Im moored on the opposite bank and Im tired of seeing chicks and ducklings die on it.
What generally happens is that one duckling will go over and the mother gets distressed. She then hops over the grill onto the towpath looking and calling for it and the other ducklings in trying to get to her follow there little mate over the top.
One lady came very close to losing her dog this weekend.
People have complained to BW but apparently they say there isnt a problem because the duckilings survive. I dont believe that for a second.
Who is responsible and what if anything can be done about it please.
I feel the least they could do would be to put chicken wire over the bars.

Hi Biddlybop

This must be the canal that runs past my brother's house

Any chance you can get some photos of the weir and post them up here. I'm actually having a bit of difficulty visualising it

D

Yes Im going up there tomorrow Delia I will photo it and post it up. Its at Pontymoile basin.
It is basically a 50 yard long X 2foot wide hole that runs parallel with the towpath bank between the water,s edge and the towpath itself. It has steel bars going from the concrete wall that forms the weir to the wall of the towpath across the hole.
The weir itself is part of the aquaduct. It drops from there into the river as I say some 70 ft below.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back