• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 30X vs 20-60 Zoom (1 Viewer)

PaulinMA

Hey Folks,

I have a Swarovski ATS80HD scope with the 20-60 Zoom eyepiece. I just bought the Nikon P5100 camera with the DCA adapter.

Is it worth the cost to purchase the 30X eyepiece for digiscoping? Here in the states that eyepiece can be had for about $375 USD.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Paul
Plymouth (the OTHER Plymouth) Massachusetts

Paul,
I prefer the fixed 30x and 45x. The P5100's lens is best for digiscoping at the end of the Green Macro zone (10.1 mm ) and using the DCA Zoom adapter enables you to use it. The Eye Relief with the zoom is not enough to use the macro zone unless you find another way to get the two pieces of glass closer together (eg. a universal type adapter ).
This being said you can get very good results from the zoom and you do have the advantage of using the 60x end. Try it first and see if you are happy with the results.
Neil.

Hi Paul
I use the ATS65 HD with the 20-60x zoom. When i first bought this i also had the 30x lens but soon stopped using it as to my eyes there was little or no difference optically between it & the zoom at 30x, apart from the obvious wider field of view of course. I have no experience with the P5100 or DCA however & Neil makes some valid points about the coupling of the two.
I digiscope with a Sony & a tube adapter which brings camera & eyepiece within 5mm of each other & for the most part use 20x magnification which i think gives sharper results than a higher magnification.
Like Neil says though, try it first & see if you are happy with the results

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back