• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron DBA Oasis or BGA Classic Oasis? (1 Viewer)

Gray C

Grumpy old bugger
United Kingdom
I was looking to buy an Opticron monocular, but after handling one I found it difficult to hold it steady in comparison to binoculars (8x42)

I am now considering buying either Opticron DBA Oasis 8x42 or Opticron BGA Classic Oasis 8x42. I have seen the BGA's for sale at £369 and the DBA's for sale at £579.

The question is...are the DBA's a lot better and worth the extra £210, or is the quality difference negligible.

I am new to bird watching and would also use the binoculars extensively for holidays and general use.

Experts, please offer me your opinions as I am really undecided as to what to get.

Don't claim to be an expert (I'm not!!) but here's my two pence worth

well I'm a big fan of Opticron but if you're thinking of spending the best part of £600 you need to try and compare. Are they worth £200 more? Dunno guv, probably none of the tops bins are objectively worth what they cost but if that "extra bit" is important to you.

If you want to spend £600 I'd also have a look at the Leica Trinovid 8x32 £620 ish, Nikon HGL8x32 £650ish, Swaro 8x30SLC £500ish.

You really need to get somewhere where you can try a few pairs advice is all well and good but you are the ones using them and we each react differently to different bins.

Bear in mind more expensive doesn't mean better. You may get on better with a mid priced bin or see no difference

No expert, but after always using Opticron i would say the extra £210 is well worth it, but as pete has pointed out try a few pairs first, then buy, good luck.

I've used Opticron for years now & have recently bought the DBA Oasis. I think you'll find they are much better in low light - which we get a lot of! Also I reckon its worth buying the best you can afford - saves wanting to upgrade in a year or so.
However as the others say make sure they suit you, no matter how expensive, its a waste if you can't get on with them.

Gray C said:
I was looking to buy an Opticron monocular, but after handling one I found it difficult to hold it steady in comparison to binoculars (8x42)

I am now considering buying either Opticron DBA Oasis 8x42 or Opticron BGA Classic Oasis 8x42. I have seen the BGA's for sale at £369 and the DBA's for sale at £579.

The question is...are the DBA's a lot better and worth the extra £210, or is the quality difference negligible.

I am new to bird watching and would also use the binoculars extensively for holidays and general use.

Experts, please offer me your opinions as I am really undecided as to what to get.

One thing to note is that the field of view of the BGA Classic is quite a lot less than that of the DBA. You might find this troublesome.

Other than that, I would echo the comments of others: if you're going to spend that much money, try others in your price range. I was seriously considering the DBA's until I tried the Nikon 8x32SE (at around £420)!

Greg.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back