• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (1 Viewer)

Release of Wing Tag C6

This is a new clip, Alan. This was the final release before the Project ended in July. Tom Heap came with the film unit - I was there on the mound opposite the Nine Arches Viaduct - and took footage of this last memorable release.
Keith Bowey has now set up his own Agency "Glead Ecological and Environmental Services (GEES).

Attached is a shot of C6 flying free........................

June

Animal 24:7 this morning showed a piece from the end of the project last summer. Don't know if it's a repeat or not but I hadn't seen it before.

Here is the link if anyone wants to view on BBCi, the article concerned starts 15 mins 40 secs in and last about 6 mins.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00r4gz9/b00r4gyv/Animal_247_Series_6_Episode_4/

cheers

Alan M

Attachments

• C6-_flying-3.jpg
    C6-_flying-3.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 111
I've been out today and was lucky enough to see and hear some of the Red kites displaying. Today has probably been the best day that I've ever had watching and listening to them, it was brilliant.

I hope to have one or two good photos.

It's really good at present Mick - Leonard and I were out last Monday and saw ten in various places, including a pair in Barlow and another pair from the Rowlands Gill Viaduct. They flew so low............. I was doing a video of them when, horror of horrors, my battery went flat !

But any possible pics (please not more than half a dozen, 'cos I'm snowed under with other stuff at present) would be really welcome. You have a designated Folder on my FoRK Folder!!

BFN
June

I've been out today and was lucky enough to see and hear some of the Red kites displaying. Today has probably been the best day that I've ever had watching and listening to them, it was brilliant.

I hope to have one or two good photos.

I didn't get too many good photos by the looks of things, these are crops from the first few that I have looked at and I will probably not get a chance to have another look until the weekend.

Attachments

• Red Kite.jpg
    Red Kite.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 2 Red Kites.jpg
    2 Red Kites.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 2 Red Kites 2.jpg
    2 Red Kites 2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 4 Red Kites.jpg
    4 Red Kites.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 110
Photographer's luck!

I sympathise, Mick. Last week, I was out and about, and did some videoing in the Barlow Burn. Not wonderful.
But later we went onto the Rowlands Gill viaduct and there, the pair came and were displaying really low above our heads. So, I tried to video them - horror of horrors "Battery flat" came up on the camera viewer!!! And my other set of batteries had already been used.
A wonderful chance lost!

I didn't get too many good photos by the looks of things, these are crops from the first few that I have looked at and I will probably not get a chance to have another look until the weekend.

I sympathise, Mick. Last week, I was out and about, and did some videoing in the Barlow Burn. Not wonderful.
But later we went onto the Rowlands Gill viaduct and there, the pair came and were displaying really low above our heads. So, I tried to video them - horror of horrors "Battery flat" came up on the camera viewer!!! And my other set of batteries had already been used.
A wonderful chance lost!

My main problem was that I was seeing Kites so quick and for so long that I was watching the birds instead of taking notice of what I was doing. I use manual settings and just didn't pay any attention to what I was doing as I was constantly taking photographs and not looking at what I was doing.

Normally I'll keep the sun at my back and that makes most of the photographs sorted once I find a setting that works, on Sunday the sun was behind me one minute then the next I was facing it and just clicking away. I have filled a full 8gb memory card for the first time in two years.

This should have been one of my best photographs ever, I'm gutted.

Attachments

• Red Kites Displaying 16.jpg
    Red Kites Displaying 16.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 133
Gutted!

Oh, commiserations, Mick!!! Yes, it would have been a brilliant shot. Never mind, you may have another chance sometime.

I hope you enjoyed last evening's Kite Night. Chaplin's as a venue was much better, I think, than the previous one.
Hope to see you around sometime. But do go to the Rowlands Gill viaduct, because there is definitely a pair not far along, and you might get some good views.

Have a look on the FoRK website for Colin Crowdey's images - and his Gallery, for which I've given the url. Kind of him to allow us to have two images - I only asked for one:)

This should have been one of my best photographs ever, I'm gutted.

I was at Galloway last week and went to the Red Kite feeding station, never seen as many Kites in all of my life, there must have been over a hundred.

Took a few photos too

Attachments

• rk5.jpg
    rk5.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 95
  • rk12.jpg
    rk12.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 100
  • rk21.jpg
    rk21.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 99
Oh, commiserations, Mick!!! Yes, it would have been a brilliant shot. Never mind, you may have another chance sometime.

I hope you enjoyed last evening's Kite Night. Chaplin's as a venue was much better, I think, than the previous one.
Hope to see you around sometime. But do go to the Rowlands Gill viaduct, because there is definitely a pair not far along, and you might get some good views.

Have a look on the FoRK website for Colin Crowdey's images - and his Gallery, for which I've given the url. Kind of him to allow us to have two images - I only asked for one:)

Yes I did enjoy last night, I was a bit surprised that so many people attended. I would think that the venue will struggle if the numbers get any higher. The popularity of FoRK just shows how people have taken to the Red Kites.

Kite Night

Glad you and Lynn enjoyed the get-together last night. It's good that our membership is growing steadily; we'll just play it by ear with regard to where we can meet. Chaplin's is where we hold our Committee meetings and where the walkers have a bite to eat sometimes. But, yes, we just about filled it to capacity, didn't we!
Leonard and I did the quiz, and considering we were on our own, I think our 21 score was pretty good!!
:t:

Yes I did enjoy last night, I was a bit surprised that so many people attended. I would think that the venue will struggle if the numbers get any higher. The popularity of FoRK just shows how people have taken to the Red Kites.

Galloway Kites

You did well to be there for the actual feeding session. It is a great spectacle!
The last time we went, they had just been fed, so we saw very few. The kites still need to forage for themselves. The little Visitor Centre is improving, too. Lovely images, too.

I was at Galloway last week and went to the Red Kite feeding station, never seen as many Kites in all of my life, there must have been over a hundred.

Took a few photos too

You did well to be there for the actual feeding session. It is a great spectacle!
The last time we went, they had just been fed, so we saw very few. The kites still need to forage for themselves. The little Visitor Centre is improving, too. Lovely images, too.

even managed to get interviewed by Border tv as they were doing a piece on the illegal poisoning of BoP, apparently I went off on one using the word appalling a lot. I haven't seen it but my friends did on the internet, very embarrassing.

It is a lovely area though, we drove a few miles down the Red Kite trail and within minutes we had seen 6 Kites.

Also I have never seen as many Buzzards in all my life, they were everywhere. Must have seen over a hundred in the week we were there.

Buzzards and kites

Happily kites and buzzards interact very well, almost to the point sometimes of appearing to be buddies, unlike the Corvids which delight in taunting and attacking the kites!
Buzzards are definitely more numerous; on one occasion, between Hexham and Haltwhistle, on a lovely bright day with lots of thermals and fluffy clouds we saw ten buzzards!!
On the way beack from Hexham to Ponteland on Tuesday, just approaching the slip-road off to Throckley, there was a handsome buzzard, just sitting on the fence. Big, brown and oh, for my camera!!

QUOTE=Cartman;1757669]even managed to get interviewed by Border tv as they were doing a piece on the illegal poisoning of BoP, apparently I went off on one using the word appalling a lot. I haven't seen it but my friends did on the internet, very embarrassing.

It is a lovely area though, we drove a few miles down the Red Kite trail and within minutes we had seen 6 Kites.

Also I have never seen as many Buzzards in all my life, they were everywhere. Must have seen over a hundred in the week we were there.[/QUOTE]

Northern Kites on BBC

Apparently the ONE Show coverage of Northern Kites is now on next Monday evening, 7pm on 15th March (if they don’t switch it at the last minute again!).

even managed to get interviewed by Border tv as they were doing a piece on the illegal poisoning of BoP, apparently I went off on one using the word appalling a lot. I haven't seen it but my friends did on the internet, very embarrassing.

Also I have never seen as many Buzzards in all my life, they were everywhere. Must have seen over a hundred in the week we were there.

I wouldn't worry about being embarrassed, and the words which I would have used might not have been as kind as the word you seem to have used a lot.

If your interview stops one poisoning then it’s job done.

I wouldn't worry about being embarrassed, and the words which I would have used might not have been as kind as the word you seem to have used a lot.

If your interview stops one poisoning then it’s job done.

Cheers mate, what a nice way to look at it

I've had another good day at the Derwent, Kites are actually carrying non food items so the change in weather has them thinking about increasing our population. The attached photograph isn't a crop its a full sized image of WT16 which has had the quality reduced to display it on here.

Attachments

• WT16reduced.jpg
    WT16reduced.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 119
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back