• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two days for birding (1 Viewer)

Fernando np

Hi,

In the middle of November, I'll be finishing my holidays in Greece. After mount Athos, I'll be free for taking a walk on the birds side. My fuzzy idea is to rent a car in Thesaloniki airport, I'll be back in two days for taking a fligth to Athens. In theory, in two days, it would be possible to visit the wetland of the coast until de Turkish border, Evros delta would be the main priority, and first stop. The other places would be visit in the return. My information is very poor. The most needed is about track and where to have a look. Less important, but welcomed would be advised about where to sleep two nigths.

Thanks in advance.
Fernando

Hello Fernando,

here is an overview from birding places.
http://www.ornithologiki.gr/page_in.php?tID=2000&sID=137

I was 2 and 3 week of October in Greece.
About 20 km south of Airport was I nice place for Waders, Angelohori.

Like recommend before, I used the book to.
http://www.birdwing.eu/sites-of-northern-greece

Axios Delta was good for Gretater spotted Eagle in third week of October.
http://www.birdwing.eu/sites-of-northern-greece/thessaloniki-area

If You want to drive farer away, I like Porto Lagos area for birding.
http://www.birdwing.eu/sites-of-northern-greece/porto-lagos-nestos-and-ismarida

Accomodation mostly closed.
The Season is over middle of October.
But Price Level was quite low, they are happy if someone still come.
Better look before which still open.

Best regards
Dieter

Last edited:
the best advice i could give you is find the thread on corfu rock partridge a few threads below this one in the list and send a personal message to ggast who is the last person on there to post.
his knowledge of birding in greece is quite encyclopedic.
and he was monitoring birds over in thrace last winter or the one before from what i remember

if you do decide to tell ggast a message. let me know and i'll tell him so that you get a reply as he doesn't seem to be on here too much

i've just contacted giannis, these were his thoughts. though he wont be to easy to find as he's there now up in the mountains.

He should visit Evros Delta, Dadia Forest and maybe the area between Lake Vistonis Lake Ismaris. Around 2000 Dalmatian and White Pelekans were at Porto Lagos the previous days. In L.Vistonis there are some White-headed Ducks among thousands others. Many swans of all 3 species, Greater Spotted Eagles and loads of waterbirds at Evros. Dadia is a must for raptors.
At tbe moment i am in northeastern Greece and a few hours ago i was enjoying Pymy Owls and Hazel Grouses

i hope that may be of help with places to head for

Thanks,

I had forgotten to look at this post. I migth realized that this forum doesn't send me email alerts every time there's a reply.
I've spend three days round Evros delta, Dadia y Lake Vistanida area. The main source of uncertainty about the Evros delta is the limitations for national security reasons. Luckily, there wasn't any. The smooth weather has limited the presence of several wintering birds as geese. Good presence of waders. I regret not carrying a spotting scope, but the logistic would have been complicated in previous places as mount Athos. In Dadia, I was trying to read a wing band, without sucess, in a greater spotted eagle, from a group of three. In Porto Lagos, the waters must be very rich, taking in count the thousand of cormorants.
Really, a bunch of good moments.

How was about Indian summer ?
Middle of October everywhere was colorful tree in the high mountains.
In Dadia the leave has only few Colors, because it was much lower area.

In Dadia, the transition of pines, from reforestation, to oaks it's visible. One time the pines get commercial size, they are cut and the small oaks prunned. Of course, only these last show the autumn colours. Yes, it's a beautiful time in this aspect, although a fair notch bellow the fall in Caucasus or Appalachian mountains.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back