• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vulture decline (1 Viewer)

alanhill

Help needed please on an article in the Guardian re the massive decline in some vulture species. Headline "Drug-treated livestock blamed for collapse of scavengers", the article goes on to say:

"Diclofenac, an anti-inflammatory drug widely used for livestock in south Asia, is behind a catastrophic fall in three species of griffon vulture, scientists say.
The oriental white-backed vulture, the long-billed vulture and the slender-billed vulture are all in steep decline, their report today in the journal Nature says.
Twenty years ago the white-backed vulture existed in tens of millions, but in a little more than a decade the population crashed by 99%."

"Debbie Pain, of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, said: "The decline is one of the steepest experienced ... faster than that of the dodo."
Lindsay Oaks of Washington State University, who led the study, said the find was the first known case of a pharmaceutical causing "major ecological damage over a huge geographic area".

My question is: Why is this drug used, and why so extensively; is it cheap (I imagined a lot of Asian farmers would not be sufficiently well off to afford widespread use of drugs)? Are drug-treated (dead) cattle the only, or main, food source for the vulture?

Alan Hill

Diclofenac is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug widely used in the west to treat arthritic disorders, etc in human & vet medicine. It is best known in the UK as Voltarol -a branded product of undoubted efficacy. Non-proprietary 25mg diclofenac tablets cost £2.71 for 84 (wholesale) in the UK & are probably cheaper in the Indian subcontinent. I gather that they are widely used to treat cattle where levels of the drug can build up in certain tissues. Vultures feeding on cattle carcases accumulate the drug which is nephrotoxic (poisons the kidneys) producing visceral gout- a condition where uric acid ( a waste derivative of protein/nucleic acid metabolism) builds up in important organs ultimately resulting in death. It is the vulture species living close to man in areas where the drug is widely used that are being hit. The paradox is that this drug is often used to treat acute Gout in humans!!

Hi folks

Steve is spot on re Diclofenac. I wasn't aware that it had been identified as THE causative agent though? Last I heard it results from work in India pointed it to be more likely due to an infectious disease......this may now be wrong of course but given the length of gestation for papers in Nature maybe not....

Hi Tim,
In an odd way,this is good news,as at least something can now be done to halt the decline,if the will is there to do so?A mystery disease would have been so much more serious,not least because it could have spread to related species in Africa and Europe(note that I'm NOT treating the declines of the Asian species lightly:my comments above could be misinterpreted that way!)
Harry H

Makes you wonder what other crud out there is "distilling" up the food chain. Its oestrogens building up in the enviroment that worry me > may have a profound effect on male fertility in many species in the near future. Another decade or two & we'll all have functional mammary glands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another major problem the Vultures are facing in Europe is the ruling from Brussels about the dispoasal of carcases. The putting out of dead animals for the Vultures to clean up is now prohibited in some parts of the European Union, at some of the old tips in Southern Spain for instance carcases are sprayed with disinfectant and buried immediately. This practice is having a disastrous effect on the Vulture population, the numbers have almost halved in the last 3-4 years since this ruling came into being.

nirofo.

Thanks for the comments - very helpful in understanding what is behind the catastrophe. I think the EU ruling about the disposal of animal carcases is also being applied in some African countries (eg South Africa), and here too the vulture is being starved into extinction. And the effects of the use of Diclofenac in Asia looks similar to the way that DDT previously decimated some raptor populations, particularly Peregrines.

So is it goodbye to the vulture?

Alan Hill

This (the Pakistan report) is a proposition, from what appears to be a small(ish) sample and a limited site.

"But wildlife epidemiologist Andrew Cunningham of the Zoological Society of London's Institute of Zoology is not convinced that the mystery has been solved. He and his colleagues have built a vulture care centre in Haryana state in India, where they are also searching for the cause of the birds' death.

Cunningham argues that birds on the Indian subcontinent may be suffering from something different to those in Pakistan. "The signs point to it being an infectious agent".

Indian vultures are sick for three to five weeks before they die, and have inflammation in their nervous system, a mark of infection. In Pakistan, birds die quickly and their organs are covered with a chalky white paste of uric acid, characteristic of renal gout."

Not so cut and dried, perhaps.

Andy.

Sorry folks, the Andrew Cunningham comment was an old one - I should have checked the date before posting.

But there does seem to be something odd in this report - 1600 vulture carcasses; 259 fresh enough to test, of which 219 showed characteristics of visceral gout - yet only 42 tested for diclofenac?

Puzzling.

Can't livestock be treated with aspirin?

Andy.

Tim Allwood said:
this is correct - it is Diclofenac!

see http://worldtwitch.com/

Tim,

Correct me if I am wrong. Didn't I see something come through the OB List-server a few months ago regarding the use of Diclofenac as an anti-arthritic and putting it in relation to the use of the Towers of Silence by the culture Parsi for disposing of their dead?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back