• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Needed with Warbler ID (1 Viewer)

Prairie was my first guess but I thought with the very gray head it would have to be a 1st winter juvenile and the side/flank streaks appeared too well defined for a Juve. . I also didn’t like the dark tail but this could be just the lighting.

I actually didn't see you had written magnolia and was going to put this down as a possibility, but i rejected it because on the pix of non-'breeding male' birds they all seemed to have unbroken eye-rings, which this bird doesn't have - but, remember my disclaimer above!!

Searobin,
nothing wrong with that tail. The obvious flank streaks (as it seems in image) would fit a male. the grayish cheek a first basic.
JanJ

I saw Prairie, because if some of you have Sibley you can see that one of the pointers he has on the female Prairie says that it has a dark spot or small bar of black on sides of the neck that come out almost to under the beak which you can clearly see in the pic and the Magnolia doesnt have. Plus the face patern seams more like a Prairie to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back