• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

B##### Warbler: ID needed! (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
I must confess that I'm completely unuseful when it comes to ID warblers. This time, while walking along a country road, I heard a low single call coming from the thick undergrowth; I stopped and waited for a while, then I heard it again. I silently turned back and gained the best possible light conditions, mounted my gear and waited ... waited ... waited.
At last it came out for a nano second: it took me 20 minutes to gain a few metres and when close enough, I managed to take a couple of shots.
All in all, I stayed on the spot for more than an hour, with the amusement of some passer-by ... in the evening I stayed one more hour in front of my PC trying to ID it, but ... no way.
Therefore I decided to put it here, before uploading in my gallery, hoping to get some ID, more precise than my hypotheses (I tried wood warblers, garden warblers etc. but its greyish head puzzles me ...)
I hope to receive also some hints re. how to manage ID of these shy, wary species: my books help a bit, but I'd like to know where to start first
Thank you very much :clap:
Max

Attachments

• warbler.jpg
    warbler.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 391
I think probably an Orphean Warbler, a female or maybe an immature. Has quite a big feel and definitely a sylvia. The pale eye and tail pattern, as well as the overall colouration would suggest Orphean.

edenwatcher said:
Lesser whitethroat, Max. Nice pic. (and my 1000th post).

Rob

Wow Rob, thank you very much ... such a fast ID, well done!
Congratulations for your 1000th post, if they're always so fast you must have started posted yesterday :) :clap:

Andrew Whitehouse said:
I think probably an Orphean Warbler, a female or maybe an immature. Has quite a big feel and definitely a sylvia. The pale eye and tail pattern, as well as the overall colouration would suggest Orphean.

Aaaaargh, things get complicated ... Help!

I'd second Orphean. In addition to Andrew's comments, the beak looks very sturdy.

Des.

ps. great photo gmax :clap: :clap:

could you post the other shots you manged to get?

Last edited:
This is one of those problems that wouldn't occur in the field, one species being small, slight and cute, the other being a hulking great beast of a Warbler. The under-tail coverts would be useful, but in the absence of those I'd plump for Orphean.... its looks a big bird.

Jane Turner said:
This is one of those problems that wouldn't occur in the field, one species being small, slight and cute, the other being a hulking great beast of a Warbler. The under-tail coverts would be useful, but in the absence of those I'd plump for Orphean.... its looks a big bird.

Thank you Jane, you're right .. but I was so busy spotting it out and taking pictures that I didn't stop and observe its features.
In any case I've posted another pic (as suggested by Des) in my gallery here .. hope it helps (sorry no undertail coverts' detail)
Looking forward to receiving your precious support :h?:
Thank you,
Max

OOh eck, the second pic looks much better for Lesser Whitethroat. The white under the eye is marked, the bird has got smaller and there is enough of a view of the the UTCs to suggest that they are not barred.. weird.

Last edited:
Jane Turner said:
OOh eck, the second pic looks much better for Lesser Whitethroat. The white under the eye is marked, the bird has got smaller and there is enough of a view of the the UTCs to suggest that they are not barred.. weird.

I make it about eleven hawthorn berries long too, which sticks up for Lesser Whitethroat.

Beak/legs/feet still look too big though!

Des.

Hmm, more confused now. A few observations:

1. The bird, to me, doesn't look any smaller in the second picture and I still reckon the bill and overall impression are of a fairly big warbler.
2. The white below the eye is better for LW (although not sure how variable OW is in this), but wouldn't a LW also show some white above the eye?
3. Something I noticed in the first picture is the pattern on the undertail. There seems to be a broad black band curving up to a point in the middle of the undertail. Must admit, I don't know how good a feature this is or how variable in appearance, but going on the pictures Beaman & Madge (all I have to hand at the moment!) this is spot on for OW and not good for LW, which shows a mostly white undertail.
4. The most noticeable difference between the two pictures, to me anyway, is in the underparts. These appear quite grey in the first picture but much paler in the second. Light is obviously a factor here but the second picture shows quite a lot of burnt out areas, which makes me think it's a bit overexposed and the overall impression of tone is less reliable than in the more shaded first picture. Although the undertail looks white and unmarked in the second picture, most of this is either hidden or burnt out and so is hard to assess. The greyish underparts shown in the first picture are probably better for OW. I know the light's different but that bird looks very dark underneath for any LW.
5. That's a strikingly pale eye for a LW - whitish yellow, rather than dingy yellow, in both pictures.

I suspect some will be happy to ignore all these ambiguities and will conclusively pronounce one ID or the other. Any other views?

My first impression was a big sylvia but I think this is because the photos such a close-up, I tried to reduce it but can't, so I got as far away from the screen as possible to make it more like a distant view! I can't help but think Lesser throat - I've looked on the web at other images and (like the fieldguides) can't find the eye spots in that crescent on any Orphean. I also can't find an Orphean with such clean unders - though I suspect I might if I carried on! I must say the bill looks chunky having said all that.

desgreene said:
I make it about eleven hawthorn berries long too, which sticks up for Lesser Whitethroat.

Beak/legs/feet still look too big though!

Des.

Mmmh, what I can say for sure it's that the warbler wasn't after berries, but insects ...

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Hmm, more confused now. A few observations:

Light is obviously a factor here but the second picture shows quite a lot of burnt out areas, which makes me think it's a bit overexposed and the overall impression of tone is less reliable than in the more shaded first picture. Although the undertail looks white and unmarked in the second picture, most of this is either hidden or burnt out and so is hard to assess. The greyish underparts shown in the first picture are probably better for OW. I know the light's different but that bird looks very dark underneath for any LW.
Agreed Andrew, as a matter of fact, light was very tricky in the undergrowth, although I did my best to expose correctly (my apology).
I've been digging through my donwloaded pics ... here's another one, more shaded though ... I may add that underparts were lighter/whitish on the throat and undertail, while the rest of the lower body was more like the 2nd pic

Attachments

• warbler3.jpg
    warbler3.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 223
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back