• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Souths Moths of the British Isles Vol's 1&2 (1 Viewer)

Trevor Lee

Hi have always studied Moths and Butterflies since a kid and collected quite afew as well.

Dont collect now, as the thought of injuring any animal horrifies me.

Have breed and moths and am now into conservation.

My question is purely mercenary.

I have a set of South's Moths of the British Isles Vol's 1 & 2, first editions dated 1907.

Does any one know if they are worth anything.

I have an upto date copy so I may wish to try to sell possibly on e-bay if I knew how much to ask.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Trevor

Hi Trevor, with books like yours I think I would contact a local auction house first. A quick look on the web has more modern publications and academic sources referring back to them.

Tony

Trevor,
A quick check on www.bookfinder.com shows a first edition, 2 vol set selling for $60 Not a fortune, but better than a poke in the eye..

With second hand bookselling condition is critical, so to get the best price you have to be sure that the book has no foxing, tears, and especially fading on the spine. If you have a dust jacket, never ever ever ever cut off the price!!

Having said that ebay is always woth a go. I sold a book last week which I bought for 75p in a book sale at work for £70

Darrell

Thanks guys for the info.

They dont have dust jackets but are in excellent condition.

They were saved from being slung in a skip by a school who were having a clear out of their old books in the library.

I also saved a couple of early additions of the wayside and woodland books.

Hopefully I can make a little money and put it towards a new pair of Bins.

Cheers

Trevor

Funny that - I rescued my copy of South from a skip at work too!! mine's the 1933 reprint, but I still use it, it's a useful reference tool.

P.S 1907 ed wouldn't have a dust jacket.

Darrell

Anyone wanting to check out the values of any books they have, or, wish to purchase and books on any subject should visit- WWW. abebooks.com This site is in contact with 10,000 bookshops world wide. A very good site indeed. You can place want adds as well and you will be E-mailed when any bookseller has a copy of the books you require. I got both volumes of the British Tortricoid Moths (Ray Society) through a similar add. Not cheap but worth the price they are so scarce. All book sellers include their E-mail addresses, phone no's, contact details, etc. the price often depends on condition, dust wrapper, number printed etc. Prices are often quoted in $ but a conversion chart is provided. Have fun trawling the site
Harry Eales.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back