• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Decisions over lenses (1 Viewer)

The big telephoto primes all have multi function buttons, usually reserved for AF lock but programmable (certainly on the 1Ds cameras) to do other things such as AF start or I.S. start, as well as press to activate AI servo, press to go to one shot.... and some focus point options. Didn't know it was on the 30D though, but wouldn't surprise me.

Keith Reeder said:
Les, this is interesting reading about the "300mm f/4 + converter" question:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=21954498

Basically it is a nice combo, but gives you no real image quality or focussing speed benefits once the converter is in the equation.

As RJL suggests, the sliding zoom on the 100-400mm isn't an issue once you're used to using it, and there's quite a lot of evidence out there to suggest the zoom works well with a converter - and of course, that's the combo that gives you the most reach.

added: I use AV mode too, in order to maintain the aperture I want - it's easy enough to increase the ISO to keep the shutter speed up - and anyway, IS will give you a lot of leeway in shutter speed as long as the bird isn't bouncing around like a crazy thing...

Well it arrived yesterday the 100-400IS, bigger and heavier than I had imagined.

Tried it out yesterday found it difficult to keep steady, but it seems to be
getting a bit easier now.The pump zoom which was my main worry is no problem, pleased with how easy it is to use, only thing I forgot was to lock it
when not in use. also seemed not to have focussed on what I was taken
but that problem was me not keeping it steady
The Sigma 70-300 I also have is not in the same class.
Just a point how do you know when the IS kicks in.
Comments please or any tips

A couple of photo's below

Cheers

Les

Attachments

• into the sunrise.jpg
    into the sunrise.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Run Away.jpg
    Run Away.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 113
Ageinghippie said:
Well it arrived yesterday the 100-400IS, bigger and heavier than I had imagined.

Tried it out yesterday found it difficult to keep steady, but it seems to be
getting a bit easier now.The pump zoom which was my main worry is no problem, pleased with how easy it is to use, only thing I forgot was to lock it
when not in use. also seemed not to have focussed on what I was taken
but that problem was me not keeping it steady
The Sigma 70-300 I also have is not in the same class.
Just a point how do you know when the IS kicks in.
Comments please or any tips

A couple of photo's below

Cheers

Les
you see the image sort of jump in the VF when the is kick's in you also hear it a sort of quiet greating noise IS only takes around a second to start working.
Rob.

Welcome onboard, Les..!

A few things.

Firstly, give yourself a little time to get used to using the lens - many people find that there's a bit of a learning curve to using IS lenses. It's worth the effort.

As Rob say, the image in the viewfinder will jump about then suddenly "settle" - it's very cool.

Even with IS, you still need to develop a decent handholding technique (which is actually very straightforward) - this is an excellent tutorial, and I can confirm that the advice in it works:
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/technique/handholding1.html

What settings do you have the lens on? Make sure it's switched on!

;)

Re: the weight, I'm not a big bloke, but I can manage the lens for a whole day (and a rucksack full of what I need for a day out) without much trouble. You get used to it.

It's worth buying a broad neoprene strap though - I recommend the Optech Professional:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/index.asp?photo/camstraps/optech.html

Last thing - IS and good handholding technique are great, but as the article I linked to says, it's always worth bracing yourself against any available support like fence posts, railings etc - every little helps.

But most important of all - persevere.

Last edited:
Keith Reeder said:
Welcome onboard, Les..!

A few things.

Firstly, give yourself a little time to get used to using the lens - many people find that there's a bit of a learning curve to using IS lenses. It's worth the effort.

As Rob say, the image in the viewfinder will jump about then suddenly "settle" - it's very cool.

Even with IS, you still need to develop a decent handholding technique (which is actually very straightforward) - this is an excellent tutorial, and I can confirm that the advice in it works:
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/technique/handholding1.html

What settings do you have the lens on? Make sure it's switched on!

;)

Re: the weight, I'm not a big bloke, but I can manage the lens for a whole day (and a rucksack full of what I need for a day out) without much trouble. You get used to it.

It's worth buying a broad neoprene strap though - I recommend the Optech Professional:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/index.asp?photo/camstraps/optech.html

Last thing - IS and good handholding technique are great, but as the article I linked to says, it's always worth bracing yourself against any available support like fence posts, railings etc - every little helps.

But most important of all - persevere.
Keith, GYrob,
Thanks for advice, had a look at the tutorial helpful.and straps
settings on lens everything switched on, heard a small greating noise,not seen the
image jump and settle in the viewfinder yet, probably because, I still have movement problems, mainly when trying to frame the shot. I will keep practicing, tried a few photos today and I seemed to have more control over movement, nothing to show you,all of nothing interesting, also the weather been awful.
Will report back soon

Les

Ageinghippie said:
Keith, GYrob,
Thanks for advice, had a look at the tutorial helpful.and straps
settings on lens everything switched on, heard a small greating noise,not seen the
image jump and settle in the viewfinder yet, probably because, I still have movement problems, mainly when trying to frame the shot. I will keep practicing, tried a few photos today and I seemed to have more control over movement, nothing to show you,all of nothing interesting, also the weather been awful.
Will report back soon

Les

Further Report.

Tutorial very helpful,now seeing the image settle in view finder.
Think a lot of my problems re movement was pressing my left arm too
tightly to my side, causing muscle spasms, now holding not as tight and has
steady movement. (Couple of photo's below.), hope I can master it before
my Holiday in Norfolk 14April.
One last thing when image steadies in view finder will any further
movement of the lens, mean I will have to refocus or can the photo be taken

Cheers Les

Attachments

• Female Mallard.jpg
    Female Mallard.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Early Bird on Wire.jpg
    Early Bird on Wire.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 85
  • ducks1.jpg
    ducks1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back