• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (24 Viewers)

The Pugneys pectoral sandpiper was standing on the mud directly in front of the cafe / visitor centre this morning. It was giving extremely close views at around 10 am.

Still there this afternoon more or less oblivious to anyone watching it.

Dave

Attachments

• pec3.jpg
    pec3.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 76
  • pec5.jpg
    pec5.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 81
  • pec6.jpg
    pec6.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 58
2012 Yorkshire Wildlife calendar

It's a bit late this year, but just to let you know my 2012 Yorkshire Wildlife calendar is available at last

It contains 300+ lines of which birds, butterflies, dragonflies, moths, mammals, reptiles & flowers to look for & when & where during the year. It contains 28 photos taken by talented photographers (some of them on this forum)

One of the pics can be seen near the top of my blog. The calendar costs £8 (incl postage) & if you order one via this forum £1 for each one ordered will be donated to Spurn Bird Observatory.

If you are interested please send me a PM & I will reply with the address for you to forward your cheque. If you prefer you can now order one via ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...e+wildlife+calendar&_sacat=See-All-Categories

It's the perfect stocking-filler for anyone with an interest in Yorkshire Wildlife ;)

Thanks for your time

Attachments

• Front cover0.jpg
    Front cover0.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 52
Still there this afternoon more or less oblivious to anyone watching it.

Dave

hi dave nice photos, the pec sand was so close even i got some great shot yesterday morning..had a run in with a bloke letting his dog chase the canadas . told him to put it on a lead .. i dont know what i would have done if came towards me , he was one of those blokes that if you saw him on the street you would have crossed the road to get out of his way ,,.. phew. H

hi dave nice photos, the pec sand was so close even i got some great shot yesterday morning..had a run in with a bloke letting his dog chase the canadas . told him to put it on a lead .. i dont know what i would have done if came towards me , he was one of those blokes that if you saw him on the street you would have crossed the road to get out of his way ,,.. phew. H

Know what you mean Bushy.......nearly had an incident yest. evening with a toddler holding on to the tripod legs...his Daddy didn't seem that concerned.
Dogs 'n kids eh..? Should be a law against the ones that look after 'em......;)
But to compensate, the views again of the Pec were astonishing. Nice also to meet J T, yes I really am a flatcapper James...born 'n bred..:t:
Joe

Last edited:
Thought the bird had gone yesterday, no reports after about 11.30.

It was reported today again about 9.40 so I'm going to have a go but wont get there until 6.30pm so don't scare it off!

Know what you mean Bushy.......nearly had an incident yest. evening with a toddler holding on to the tripod legs...his Daddy didn't seem that concerned.
Dogs 'n kids eh..? Should be a law against the ones that look after 'em......;)
But to compensate, the views again of the Pec were astonishing. Nice also to meet J T, yes I really am a flatcapper James...born 'n bred..:t:
Joe
Nothing wrong with being a flatcapper hope they manage to win the Grand Final this time.:t:

Osprey

Hi, I recently photographed an Osprey over Old Moor, S-Yorkshire & Im needing some help regarding where Its come from, I have added some pictures of which Include a partial ring on the leg. Anyone know??

Sean..

Attachments

• IMG_9025.jpg
    IMG_9025.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9038.jpg
    IMG_9038.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9038o.jpg
    IMG_9038o.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 96
Hi, I recently photographed an Osprey over Old Moor, S-Yorkshire & Im needing some help regarding where Its come from, I have added some pictures of which Include a partial ring on the leg. Anyone know??

Sean..

Hey up Sean ..

Spoke to the guys at Old Moor yesterday and they are on the case ... BTO have been informed and they will shout up if they get any joy.

If I hear anything I'll give you a shout mate ..

Why is Eccup so poor for birds? From when I started in '82 I can only recall a Great Northern, which I got back in '82/83, a Red-throated, a Temminck's Stint and a Grey Phal. It used to get white-winged gulls but they've dried up now. Generally not great for such an expanse of water. It rarely even gets the rarer grebes.

I may have missed the odd bird but pretty poor fair when you match it against the other inland reservoirs. Take Grafham Water - x 2 Grey Phal's and a Sab's just at the moment.

For me it lacks mud, but then so do reservoirs like Farmoor, that still get much better records.

It's hard, and in places impossible to work, but some people do work it.

It doesn't really have islands or resting posts to attract terns like some do.

It ought to be a better local patch than it is.

Thoughts?

Eccup reservoir (capacity 250 million gallons) was constructed in 1830 and is the largest area of water in West Yorkshire. As such it should produce more 'good' birds than it does. It is not on a recognised flyway, but neither are places like Nosterfield which have turned up National and county rarities on a regular basis. The reservoir was declared a Site of Special Scientific Interest in 1987. This declaration was mostly based on a nationally important roost of Goosanders, but as numbers have increased nationally the numbers at Eccup have if anything decreased. In the 1970 and particularly the 1980s the site was well-watched by quite a few birders, including most of the founders of BirdLine NorthEast. During that period divers were found quite regularly, with 3 species of skua (Pom being the commonest!) and fairly regular white-winged gulls (and a Ring-billed). Passerines are less prominent, but Wryneck and regular Crossbills were noted. Coverage has decreased since the 1990s and currently one active observer produces most of the good birds. During this period there has been a change in the make-up of the gull roost, which these days is about 98+% Black-headed and Common Gulls, with very few large gulls, hence the lack of white-wings other than regular Mediterranean. The reason for this change is unknown. In the 1950s and 1960 several thousand Lesser Black-backed Gulls roosted in late autumn and early winter, now hardly any are present, so birds do change their roost site or habits over time.
The amount of disturbance at the site has increased, which hasn't helped the situation, and some unsympathetic management by the owners has also affected breeding birds. Trees surround most of the water and are quite close to the edges on most sides. I suspect that the 'closing-in' effect as the trees have grown has made the site less attractive to ducks as predators can approach unnoticed until the last minute. Most of the shoreline is rocky, with few areas of mud likely to hold waders, indeed a surprising proportion of wader records are of calling birds flying over.
I suspect that better coverage would produce a few more good birds, but despite living within a couple of miles of the site (and having a key to allow me access to the west end of the reservoir) I have spent most of my birding time over the last twenty years at Swillington Ings instead, where I have been fortunate to find over a dozen National rarities and dozens of county rarities, something that I wouldn't have done at Eccup. I don't really know why it doesn't pull in more decent birds but I suspect that it would take a lot of money and effort to improve things significantly. That said, given a roost of over 20000 small gulls in winter this is probably the most likely site to pull in a Bonaparte's, Laughing or Franklin's Gull, but it would take some picking out of that size roost.

Sean..

hi sean looking at the leg ring again i think the number is either -28- or-38. i have checked 170 leg rings and this is what i found--38 blue ringed at keilder b this year right leg.---28 blue ringed at rutland in 2010 right leg --28 yellow ringed at loch garten in 2004 left leg ,, bird called baldrick .. i dont think it is one of these birds.. as i said to you today i wonder if it could be swedish or even one from finland regards H

Darter sp

Can anyone explain the difference between darter spp? I think this is just Common Darter but I don't know what I should be looking for.

Attachments

• common darter1.jpg
    common darter1.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 57
what about this one Michael? I had it down as female Ruddy Darter but I know nothing about dragons.

Attachments

• Ruddy Darter.jpg
    Ruddy Darter.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 66

Users who are viewing this thread

Back