• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 400f5.6 autofocus query. (1 Viewer)

senatore

I have a 350D and a 400f5.6 lens.

Earlier in the week in a hide at a local patch that has feeders close to the hide I found that when the birds I was photographing were pretty close ( approx. 10 feet) the auto focus would not work (too close) but if I went to manual I was OK.

My question is if you use manual focus can you photograph birds that are closer than if you use auto focus or is my camera playing up (unlikely) or is the photographer a clown ( very likely).

Max.

senatore said:
I have a 350D and a 400f5.6 lens.

Earlier in the week in a hide at a local patch that has feeders close to the hide I found that when the birds I was photographing were pretty close ( approx. 10 feet) the auto focus would not work (too close) but if I went to manual I was OK.

My question is if you use manual focus can you photograph birds that are closer than if you use auto focus or is my camera playing up (unlikely) or is the photographer a clown ( very likely).

Max.
Minimum focus distance for this lens is 3.5 metres but I have heard of other people who have manually focussed closer than this.

P.S.
I have just had a play with my 400mm f5.6 and you can indeed manual focus closer - I even got a confirmation beeb after I had manual focused first, perhaps one of the more knowledgeable amongest us could explain.

Roy C said:
Minimum focus distance for this lens is 3.5 metres but I have heard of other people who have manually focussed closer than this.

I did! Check here ... One of the nicest surprises my gear provided me with, but I still don't understand why or how
I'm interested too in some sort of technical explanation
Cheers,
Max

Just a question, but did you move the switch on the side 3.5 to inf and 8.5 to inf, just a thought. I found I had faster focus for distance shots when I moved the switch and forgot to put it back.

Just a question, but did you move the switch on the side 3.5 to inf and 8.5 to inf, just a thought. I found I had faster focus for distance shots when I moved the switch nut then forgot to put it back and the focusing was slower.

gmax said:
I did! Check here ... One of the nicest surprises my gear provided me with, but I still don't understand why or how
Cheers,
Max
Great pic Max.

Max.

Saphire said:
Just a question, but did you move the switch on the side 3.5 to inf and 8.5 to inf, just a thought. I found I had faster focus for distance shots when I moved the switch nut then forgot to put it back and the focusing was slower.
Good point Saphire but I don't know the answer.This is a switch I leave alone because I'm not sure when I should change it.I think it was on 8.5 to inf. when I took these close shots.Should I have been on 3.5 to inf.???Can someone remind me when they adjust this switch and why.

Max.

Max I can't get mine to to Auto focus close up when set at the longest setting it will focus manually though but not AF, so I leave it on the 3.5 to Infinity.
When wanting birds in flight then it hunts at the close setting on changing the switch it doesn't hunt as much seems to find the bird quicker.

graham catley said:
has anyone measured how much closer than the 3.5m it focuses manually?
When I tried it was only about a foot closer - nothing to be very useful but still would be interesting to know why.

Hi
I use a Canon 400mm f5.6 with a n EOS 400D.
Q: Can you tape up the contacts on a 1.4x converter and still retain autofocus using this set up?
Cheers Mike.

mike nesbitt said:
Hi
I use a Canon 400mm f5.6 with a n EOS 400D.
Q: Can you tape up the contacts on a 1.4x converter and still retain autofocus using this set up?
Cheers Mike.
Mike, you can tape the pins on the tc and fool the camera into not knowing its there with your set-up, therefore retaining af but it will hunt a bit.

Roy C said:
Mike, you can tape the pins on the tc and fool the camera into not knowing its there with your set-up, therefore retaining af but it will hunt a bit.

Nice one Roy.

I havn't even bought the telecon yet. I have read various reviews stating that this can be done, obviously not condoned by Canon, but none were specific to the 400D camera.
I'm new to SLR, previously into digiscoping. The lack of X factor is going to be something to come to terms with. But I'm sure the results will come.

Mike.

gmax said:
Cheers,
Max

great shot Max.

I have a feeling that most lenses will allow MF slightly closer than the stated MFD for AF. I think that there needs to be some 'over run' to allow smooth, acurate AF. I also expect that this over run makes it much easier to consistently produce lenses that work to the MFD. I did a quick test and both my Sigma 500 and Canon 100-400 will MF slightly closer than they'll AF.

Roy C said:

You have to be careful, i have read that some people have seen problems with the pins taped up. I think the excessive hunting may burn out the focus motor, its not happened to everyone though.

I think some 400 5.6 lens can handle the taped pins more than others.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I told 3 photographers in a feeders hide yesterday of my manual focus findings and they all started to test what I said there and then.Two had the 400f5.6 lens and the other a Sigma lens.All found they could get closer using manual focus.None of the photographers knew this before and thanked me for the info.I think they thought I was an expert!!!!
Max.

alexf said:
You have to be careful, i have read that some people have seen problems with the pins taped up. I think the excessive hunting may burn out the focus motor, its not happened to everyone though.

I think some 400 5.6 lens can handle the taped pins more than others.

Good point there Alex.and not one that I'd cosidered.

I'm not sure whether or not Ill go down the "taping" route yet. I suppose if one did find the lens was working excessively, it would be ones own fault if they then carried on and damaged the USM.
I'm about to buy the telecon from "Kerso" I usually buy from Warehouse Express, but Ian seems to be able to undercut them considerably.

mike

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back