• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cf card for 350d (1 Viewer)

ncbirds

What is the best cf card for the 350d? I don't really need one with tons of memory, just one that is fast. All these accessories that I didn't think about are really killing my wallet lol.

ncbirds said:
What is the best cf card for the 350d? I don't really need one with tons of memory, just one that is fast. All these accessories that I didn't think about are really killing my wallet lol.
Why do you need one that is fast? It's unlikely that your 350D can match the speeds of the faster cards around today. If I were you I'd look at Sandisk UltraII. They should be fast enough for a 350D, have a good reputation for quality (assuming you don't get one of the many forged versions) and they're not too expensive - around £40 for a 4GB card from Warehouse Express, probably cheaper elsewhere.

I've used Sandisk Extreme III, Lexar 80x and I-integral 40x cards in my 350D - All worked fine with little obvious difference in write speed. I did however have two Lexar fail on me within a month so don't use them now. I'd recommend the Sandisk, fast and reliable and not too expensive (especially now the Extreme IV is available).

hollis_f said:
Why do you need one that is fast? It's unlikely that your 350D can match the speeds of the faster cards around today.

You're right Hollis, nevertheless you can feel the difference when you use a faster card, especially if you're shooting in RAW. I have used only Sandisk Extreme III on my 350D - 2Gb, not more, because I got scared by card failure and I wouldn't accept loosing a whole shoot
Just beware, the say that 90% of Sandisk CF cards on Ebay and also in some other major internet shops are fake! I bought one, at almost half the price, and now I'm pretty convinced it's a fake one: capacity and reliability are OK, but so slooooow ... So buy where you put your trust and be prepared to kill your wallet one more time, I guess you won't regret it |;|
Cheers,
Max

Hi,

I'm using SanDisk Ultra II 4GB + 2GB +1GB with my EOS 350D, all good. Since EOS 350D is not a very fast DSLR so I think SanDisk Ultra II series is better, compare the price with SanDisk Extreme III/IV.

ncbirds said:

I started off by using Lexar 80X 1GB, and I have never had any trouble with them, however, now that I shoot in RAW+JPEG I have switched to Transcend 120X 4GB. I have so far found Trancend extremely reliable

ncbirds said:

Sandisk Extreme III 2Gb for me good, fast and reliable. Used Amazon (after BF recommendation!)- prices seem to change like the FTSE but last time I looked under £25! I paid £32. Sandisk packaging/software, although sometimes from a third party in Europe I'd still recommend having a look at their site. My last card was from Germany, took 5 days but no problems at all. Local camera shop wanted £79.99!

See thread on CF cards below.

Rhod

I use a 350D and have just bought a 2Gb CF card Sandisk II for LESS than £20 delivered (£14.99 plus delivery) from Germany on Amazon - it came in 3 days and is a genuine card - even taking RAW and L jpegs at the same time it will fit over 160 shots - L Jpegs only and you can get over 500 shots on the card.

Here is the link - http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Com...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1173789937&sr=8-3

Doug

RJL2005 said:
Sandisk Extreme III 2Gb for me good, fast and reliable. Used Amazon (after BF recommendation!)- prices seem to change like the FTSE but last time I looked under £25! I paid £32. Sandisk packaging/software, although sometimes from a third party in Europe I'd still recommend having a look at their site. My last card was from Germany, took 5 days but no problems at all. Local camera shop wanted £79.99!

See thread on CF cards below.

Rhod

I've used Kingston Elite Pro, Sandisk Ultra II and Sandisk Extreme III cards, all 2GB, with my 350D. In JPEG mode, I don't notice any difference. In RAW mode, the Kingston can fall behind if you take several pictures in a row. I haven't seen noticeable write speed difference between the Ultra II and the Extreme III. With the SanDisk reader, it is much faster to download the pictures to the computer when using the Extreme III.

Extreme III cards support wider temperature range, and overall, are supposed to be somewhat more reliable. SanDisk replaced this line with faster, more expensive Extreme IV cards, but Extreme III version is still available.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back