• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to the board and----help with binoculars! (1 Viewer)

VAboy

Hi all.

I'm new to the board and new to birding (I love viewing all wildlife).

Here is my problem, I had the Swarovski EL 8.5x42---which I was just forced to sell. Now I am in the market for a cheaper binocular. I live out in the boonies so I can't go to the nearest optics dealer and do a comparison.
I have done my research and have narrowed the list down to these----by the way, they have to be waterproof and fogproof.

Bausch & Lomb 8x42 Elite model #620842 $550 and supposed to be new in the box.

Leica 8x32 BA---used and I have heard Leica's service isn't as good on second hand bino's.

Nikon 8x42 Venturer LX---refurbs for $650

Pentax 8x43 DCF SP---new with warranty (My wife owned the DCF WP model once and it was very good for the money)

I really need to stay under $700 if possible. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I hated to see the EL's go, but I had to. They were superb.

Hello VAboy and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

Not having tried all of the above bins I can't be of much help to you but we have about a gazillion threads on all of these I believe so if you have a bit of time you might want to hit some of our earlier threads. Good luck with your purchase.

VAboy said:
Hi all.

Here is my problem, I had the Swarovski EL 8.5x42---which I was just forced to sell. Now I am in the market for a cheaper binocular. I live out in the boonies so I can't go to the nearest optics dealer and do a comparison.
I have done my research and have narrowed the list down to these----by the way, they have to be waterproof and fogproof.

Leica 8x32 BA---used and I have heard Leica's service isn't as good on second hand bino's.

Pentax 8x43 DCF SP---new with warranty (My wife owned the DCF WP model once and it was very good for the money)

I really need to stay under $700 if possible. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Aboard!

In my opinion the Nikon 8x42 Venturer or B&L Elite (if it's the waterproof model) are outstanding. In fact, after a while you might forget the loss of your 8.5x42s. Although my preferences run towards Swaro SLCs, I'd put either one of these in the same category.

Enjoy the view whatever you do.
Elkcub

Check out the Cornell Study.

VAboy said:
Hi all.

Here's the link to the recent Cornell Study which tested alot of binoculars some of which you are considering. In my opinion the results are pretty meaningful. Here's the link:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/winter2005/Age_Binos.html

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back