• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White cheeked bulbul - Saudi Arabia (2 Viewers)

Umleila

Hi

my daughter and her friends rescued a fledgling yesterday evening. I'm pretty sure it's a bulbul but would like some confirmation please. Can you please advise me how to attach a photo?

It cant eat by itself yet and ive been feeding it a mixture of egg, banana, strawberry, cat food, peanut butter, rice and porridge and apple juice as advised by a vet here. I will try and go and find some insects later. Are ants ok by the way because my daughter does not want to harm any crickets or caterpillars?

Also how long will it be approximately before it can feed itself? It seems very calm and takes the food well and has pooed a couple of times.

Im not at all sure about amounts and how often either, so would appreciate some help with that. Do i need to give extra water or is there enough in the food?

Once it can feed itself, will I be able to release it back to the same place i found it?

I hope this is posted in the right part of the forum. Thanks in advance for any help you can give :)

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Hi Umleila,
to attach a photo go to the "Go Advanced" button to the right of the "Post Quick Reply" button at the bottom of the screen, then the "Manage Attachments", the browse to find the photo you want to upload, double click on the image, making sure it is no bigger than 1000 pixels at the widest point.

Edit; if it is a new thread go to the bottom of the screen and press the manage attachments button then continue as above

Last edited:
Hi Umleila,
to attach a photo go to the "Go Advanced" button to the right of the "Post Quick Reply" button at the bottom of the screen, then the "Manage Attachments", the browse to find the photo you want to upload, double click on the image, making sure it is no bigger than 1000 pixels at the widest point.

Edit; if it is a new thread go to the bottom of the screen and press the manage attachments button then continue as above

Thank you Andy. It seems to have uploaded upside down oops!

I went to our local supermarket here and all they had was mixed seed for canaries. Is the fledgling to young to have seeds yet? It seems to be doing ok still.

Is this the right forum to ask these questions? If not, I would appreciate anyone letting me know if I could get my answers anywhere else.

Thanks for your help so far.

Rachel

Hi Rachel,
this is the right forum, unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of Saudi birds so I can't help further but there are plenty here that do

Hi

my daughter and her friends rescued a fledgling yesterday evening.[...]
Hi Rachel,
why do you think the kids rescued this little fellow? Was there any danger around?

I´m not very familiar with Bulbuls but here´s an excerpt from a book about "Fruiteater -and Bloom Visitors" about the feeding from Bulbul chicks:
While in the nest the parents feed them with Waxworms, Mealworms and pupae, and above all with locusts, especially green ones. Also they used Banana and Cherries. After leaving the nest the young birds has been feed mainly with fruits.
Source: Fruchtfresser und Blütenbesucher, W, Baars by Ulmer Publisher

1. Waxworms (= Larvae of Galleria sp.): http://www.springhalen.dk/waxworms.JPG
2. Mealworms ( = Larvae of Tenebrio molitor) : http://www.springhalen.dk/melorme.JPG

In my opinion it´s not very difficult to feed this bird, in your area there are sure a lot of fruits. Much more will be a problem to release him in the wild, he will be tame for sure after weeks with you.

Hi Stonechat1,

Thanks so much for replying :) yes, the bird was in danger. She and her friends called me out and we went to see it together. The bird was on the floor in a crowded place full of cats. We couldn't see the nest as it was dark, so we decided the best thing to do was bring it home.

It is seemingly easy to feed. I can do the fruits and seeds easily enough, but there are no pet shops here that sell live feed.

It seems so tame already, but I'm hoping I can release it into our garden and provide it with plenty of food and water and at the same time give it the freedom it needs. Does that sound plausible?

Do you know if I should supplement water to it's food? I've made it quite mushy and am feeding it with a very small syringe. It seems to be eating loads at the moment.any ideas about how much and often?

Thanks so much :)

Hi Rachel,

sorry I don´t have experience with raising this species.
Try every 2 hours at least now for the beginning, if he/she grows you can extend the feeding time. I would moisten a few of the locusts, but I think acompanied with fruits there will be enough water in them. But water can not harm, IMHO.
Fore sure I would not feed any of those canary seeds, Bulbuls are fruit and insect eaters AFAIK.
You may try to find this food or something similar:
http://www.versele-laga.com/NUTRI/N...=3&mkt=11970&fam=138&ani=259&ran=265&pro=5082

All the best,
Roman

Hi Rachel,

sorry I don´t have experience with raising this species.
Try every 2 hours at least now for the beginning, if he/she grows you can extend the feeding time. I would moisten a few of the locusts, but I think acompanied with fruits there will be enough water in them. But water can not harm, IMHO.
Fore sure I would not feed any of those canary seeds, Bulbuls are fruit and insect eaters AFAIK.
You may try to find this food or something similar:
http://www.versele-laga.com/NUTRI/N...=3&mkt=11970&fam=138&ani=259&ran=265&pro=5082

All the best,
Roman

Thanks again:) It's a shame about the seeds. I only got them after reading up on wikipedia and another site that they do eat seeds. Oh well. I will leave them out for now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back