• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ouessant 2013 (1 Viewer)

Day 2 11/10/13

Day 2 was a little harder work, being overcast with stronger, still north-easterly winds. I opted to explore a new area and headed north towards Plage de Yuzin. A couple of Bonxies flew overhead as as I arrived, but there was nothing of note on the beach itself, and despite this initial promise, seawatching proved unproductive. Turning back inland, I checked a sheltered garden and spotted a movement in the middle of a bush. Unexpectedly, this proved to be a Water Rail, sitting there about a metre off the ground! Around the corner, I got a brief glimpse of a thrush, which I managed to convince myself looked quite small. When it eventually reappeared, it wasn't quite small (or American) enough, being a pretty straightforward Song Thrush. After that, I headed west, I checked various interesting patches of bushes around Niou. I decided that at least one of these would hold either a Red-flanked Bluetail or an Isabelline Shrike, but I failed to find either of these, or indeed anything else.

It was a little sunnier after lunch so I left the bike at the hotel and started walking west along the coastal path. This soon produced my first (and only) Dartford Warbler of the trip. A little further along, a patch of close-cropped clifftop grass held a feeding flock of Choughs, then a little further along I saw a pale looking plover on the short grass. I didn't immediately recognise it, and hoping that it might be something rare, I reached for my camera to get a few record shots. Unexpectedly at this point it got up and started to walk towards me! As it got closer, the penny dropped that it was a juvenile Dotterel, and a very obliging one at that! Excited by my 'find' I sought out the nearest birder who turned out to be a rather taciturn Frenchman; to my excited explanation that there was a Pluvier Guignard nearby, he just replied “Oui”! Once again I clearly wasn't the first person to find this bird!

Day 3 12/10/13

I trod, or rather cycled, a similar circuit to Friday morning to check all the patches of bushes that had looked so promising the day before. There was clearly a few more birds around today, with Redwing and Song Thrush on the move, and the odd Dunnock and Blackcap in the bushes where I hadn't seen them the previous day. Late morning I dropped into CMO to check the sightings board there and discovered that a rarity was showing at Porz Doun. That was an area of the island I hadn't previously visited so this seemed like as good a reason as any to go there. After a brisk 25 minute cycle I arrived at the site where there were already a few birders looking at the bird. I opted to stick with the principle of finding my own birds, so I spent a slightly anxious twenty minutes or so scanning through the waders on the beach before finally locating the first Semi-palmated Sandpiper I've seen this side of the Atlantic. That seemed like a good note to finish the trip on, so I headed back to Lampaul for a late lunch and a bit of souvenir shopping before catching the bus to the harbour and boarding the ferry back to Brest. That of course was where I met Mark. He proved a fairly straightforward ID due to a combination of a certain resemblance to his pen-name, traveling as part of a family party, and also a plumage feature: he was wearing a coat of a make favoured by British birders.

An excellent short trip, even though it sounds like I missed the best of the week (I didn't see a single Yellow-browed for instance), and I'm sure I'll be back for another autumn trip sometime. I have some photos from this trip which I'll try and get around to posting somewhen, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

I checked various interesting patches of bushes around Niou. I decided that at least one of these would hold either a Red-flanked Bluetail or an Isabelline Shrike, but I failed to find either of these, or indeed anything else.

Stuart you're as bad as me :-O

Great fun and some nice birds indeed.

I have some photos from this trip which I'll try and get around to posting somewhen, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

Only another three weeks or so later...

Some wildlife highlights:

Attachments

• Chough1.jpg
    Chough1.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Dotterel1.jpg
    Dotterel1.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Lizard1.jpg
    Lizard1.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Speckled Wood.jpg
    Speckled Wood.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 48
and some scenery:

Attachments

• IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 53
Hi is there any official check list of Ouesant birds? I saw one online but last updating is 2008. I guess someone out there should have an updated one.
thanks
Gianluigi

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back