• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 playing video (1 Viewer)

Brian Bullough

DIGIDOPE
I have started taking more video with this camera but can't seem to get them to play correctly using GOM they are jerky and other players such as windows will not play at all ,surely I don't have to convert them first ?
cheers
Brian

Cheers Chriskten, I will have a look at it ,I am using GOM player at the moment which has till now played anything and everything , I'm on windows 8.1 which up to now I find terrible everything seems to take forever to do ,transfer files etc:, and I thought it would be a vast improvement from my XP
Brian

Hi Brian, I've just tried a video from my SX50 on both Quicktime player and GOM and it runs smoothly on both. Couple of possibilities, not saying that either are right though.

a. The actual video settings you have used on the camera are the US settings - I don't think this would make any difference on a pc, it should still playback smoothly I would have thought.

b. It's a graphics driver issue with windows 8. I don't know whether you have upgraded the OS or if you have bought a machine with windows 8 pre-loaded but, from personal experience, upgrading the OS to windows 8 on an older machine can give compatibility issues. My laptop is 2 years old and came with a voucher for a cheap upgrade to 8 from 7 when it was released which I duly installed. I had no end of problems running video - YouTube was always sound but no picture, DVDs wouldn't play properly etc. I reinstalled windows 7 after a year of persevering and have had no problems since.

Would be worth trying to update the drivers, checking the frame rate set on the camera maybe though I really don't think this should have an effect

Hope you can get it sorted as I know how frustrating it is

Paul

I take quite a few videos as well. I'm still using Vista on my desktop though I also edit videos on my Windows 7 laptop when on holiday.

I mostly use Quicktime Player to view and edit movies.

Occasionally I use the software on the disc that came with the camera.

I mostly use Quicktime Player to view and edit movies

Ian, could I ask what version of Quicktime you are using for editing, is it Pro? I keep trying trial versions of various editors but have just been dissatisfied with them all. I'm giving Premiere Elements another spin but I dislike the setup for adjustments - all I want is sliders to make slight changes to the brightness, contrast and colour like the simple controls on the QT player.

cheers Paul

Ian, could I ask what version of Quicktime you are using for editing, is it Pro? I keep trying trial versions of various editors but have just been dissatisfied with them all. I'm giving Premiere Elements another spin but I dislike the setup for adjustments - all I want is sliders to make slight changes to the brightness, contrast and colour like the simple controls on the QT player.

cheers Paul

Yes it is Quick Time player pro version 7.7.5.

You can't add title screens with it but it's simple and easy to use for editing video clips and uploading to YouTube.

If I want to add title screens then I use the Canon software.

Brian, I have loads of videos on my SX40 so format should be identical to yours. I just put the memory card into the card reader and transfer it to a video folder. It plays perfectly fine on media player. As for processing I use Sony DVD Architect Studio which is excellent.

I run my PC on 8.1 and have no problems, add to that the PC is very fast. What spec is your PC?

Yes it is Quick Time player pro version 7.7.5.

You can't add title screens with it but it's simple and easy to use for editing video clips and uploading to YouTube.

If I want to add title screens then I use the Canon software.

Thanks Ian

Edit: cheers Robert I will give that a look too - might just as well try them all LOL

Last edited:
Brian, I have loads of videos on my SX40 so format should be identical to yours. I just put the memory card into the card reader and transfer it to a video folder. It plays perfectly fine on media player. As for processing I use Sony DVD Architect Studio which is excellent.

I run my PC on 8.1 and have no problems, add to that the PC is very fast. What spec is your PC?

Yes it's getting rather frustrating not to be able to play them , my netbook is running 2gb ram and the pc is 4 gb ram 4.40 ghz windows 8.1 pro 64 bit not the fastest but does me . I have not used the canon software yet simply because it would have to be in all computers I use and that's not practical, I'm going to run them through the TV and see if they are actually recorded properly (which I know they are because they play OK in the camera) thanks guy's for the suggestions will investigate further.
Brian

With those specs on your machine you will find it very difficult to handle video, playing or processing. Video is just about the most intensive activity a computer can be called upon other than top end games. The netbook is never going to be able to do it and the pc ideally needs to be upgraded to at least 16gb ram.

Also not been stated what quality are you recording for the video, you may want to pay attention to that, is your tv HD caapable i,e. 1080p?

cheers Paul

Do you not add titles etc, you will in due course eventually want to do more than just dabble.

...my netbook is running 2gb ram and the pc is 4 gb ram 4.40 ghz windows 8.1 pro 64 bit...

Brian, both are ample for SX50 playback . . . the PC is also adequate for HD video editing. Check out Sony Vegas Movie Studio, great editing software, i've been using it for years . . . as for a decent media player, ditch Windows' own & try VLC Media Player (free download) it's miles better . . !

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Thanks Guys , I have downloaded and installed QT lite, which seems to have solved the problem on both machines , I take the point about editing but usually only do minor adjustments and add a title or caption for which I had been using Danisoft video , but as you say the more videos captured the more I will need something to edit them .
I have used VLC but eventually settled on GOM which normally plays anything !!!
At least now I can look back on the videos I took in Texas & New Mexico earlier this year .
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back