• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Key for Canon 500 f4 IS lens case? (1 Viewer)

mikenott

Flawed but improving!
England
A strange request I know, but the second hand Canon hard case for my 500 f4 IS came with no keys to the locks. These are briefcase style slide sideways and then flip up locks (see thumbnails below). On each lock it says "540" which I strongly believe is the key number but there is no other designation as to what the key looks like.

Contact with Canon and Robert Scott drew a blank, and at times I am sure I could hear muffled laughter when I was trying to describe what I was after 3:).

Is there a better source fopr Canon parts such as this?

Could anyone who has a similar case/key be so good as to send me a photo of the key that I could then show a key cutter. I think the key is basic as I can lock/unlock it with a very loose fitting key from another case but I would like to get the right key.

I doubt if Canon would only use one key for all their cases, but if someone does have key number 540 and would be preapred to have a duplicate cut and send it to me for a modest remuneration that would be ideal.

Important to me as I am planning to travel with it soon.

Michael.

Attachments

• IMAG1792.jpg
    IMAG1792.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMAG1791.jpg
    IMAG1791.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 202
Hi Michael,

Here's a shot of the key from the Canon case for my EF 300 F2.8L IS - I'm sure it will be similar to yours. Mine's numbered 840, and it's an unusual (to me) very shiny finish - same on both sides.

Hope this helps. I scanned at 300 lpi so hopefully there's enough detail for you.

Attachments

• Canon key.jpg
    Canon key.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
Thanks very much for taking the time to do this. A step forward in my quest for the "Key of Life" or rather my case :)

Michael

I would advice you to not use the case when you travel - it screams "Steal Me!" I have both a 600mm f/4 and a 300mm f/2.8. When I travel they go in a Thinktank Airport Security Bag.

Most photographers I know don't use the Canon cases for anything other than Storage.

Part number for key you are looking for

I too have been looking for the 840 key. The part # according to Canon is CY4-0230-000, however they do not have any in stock at the moment.

I too have been looking for the 840 key. The part # according to Canon is CY4-0230-000, however they do not have any in stock at the moment.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get one cut otherwise I would happily send you one. It seems that key cutters need the actual key to act as a pattern and the key number is not enough :C

Keep in touch though .... you never know when somebody might pop up with one to copy.

Michael.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get one cut otherwise I would happily send you one. It seems that key cutters need the actual key to act as a pattern and the key number is not enough :C

Keep in touch though .... you never know when somebody might pop up with one to copy.

Michael.

Hi guys,

As the owner of an 840 key, I'd be happy to try & get copies made, and supplied at cost (key + cutting charge + postage). I would also check that the copy works in the lock of my lens trunk. However, I note that the OP ( mikenott ) said that his lock was numbered 540, and not 840. (My lens trunk lock is clearly numbered 840, and my key type doesn't appear anywhere in this http://www.alphalocksruislip.co.uk/Services1.htm listing.)

PM me if you're interested - hopefully I'll find that our local Timpsons or another independent key-cutter can do the job.

And a Happy new Year -

Hi guys,

As the owner of an 840 key, I'd be happy to try & get copies made, and supplied at cost (key + cutting charge + postage). I would also check that the copy works in the lock of my lens trunk. However, I note that the OP ( mikenott ) said that his lock was numbered 540, and not 840. (My lens trunk lock is clearly numbered 840, and my key type doesn't appear anywhere in this http://www.alphalocksruislip.co.uk/Services1.htm listing.)

PM me if you're interested - hopefully I'll find that our local Timpsons or another independent key-cutter can do the job.

And a Happy new Year -

You are right, Malcolm, I need the 540 key not the 840 :C I missed that in my reply and you did say that in an earlier response. And I live in Hemel which is only a cock-stride from Milton Keynes :C:C But if you could help Giles that would be great for him :t:

Maybe there is a similarly generous 540 key holder out in Canon-land somewhere? :hi:

I would advice you to not use the case when you travel - it screams "Steal Me!" I have both a 600mm f/4 and a 300mm f/2.8. When I travel they go in a Thinktank Airport Security Bag.

Most photographers I know don't use the Canon cases for anything other than Storage.

Totally agree with the above comments. My hard case has been in the attic since the day I bought mine

3:)
Maybe this would work, did for an old case of my daughters that had a similarly flimsy key
http://wpcontent.answcdn.com/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6d/Corned_beef-can_opener.jpg/220px-Corned_beef-can_opener.jpg

LOL! Point taken 3:). But if you are a compulsive obsessive like me:bounce: , you have just GOT to have that key! Hang on.... I'm starting to get the twitches again.... Time to take the dried frog pills (c.f. Terry Pratchett discworld books). Probably time to close this thread down . I can only take so much mickey taking, but it did make me chuickle.

Michael

Seems you have an odd case to me .
I have three Canon long lens 300mm-500- 800m and all the cases have 840 marked on the locks (just re-checked this PM)

C

Hi guys,

As the owner of an 840 key, I'd be happy to try & get copies made, and supplied at cost (key + cutting charge + postage). I would also check that the copy works in the lock of my lens trunk. ...
PM me if you're interested ...

I made the above offer ~3 years ago, and a few weeks ago, my offer was taken up from across the World. After some problems finding the correct type of blank, I've now had two keys made by a local locksmith, so if anyone else is interested, PM me.

Just had a look at my 500mm f4 mk 1 lens case key and it is an 840. Mybe there are two slightly different cases for this lens.

Up to recently I had cases for the 300f2.8,500f4 and 600f4 Mk1 lenses. The same key opened all three. So much for security ! I'm not sure when you would actually lock the case though as mine are never used.

if you speak to these people they will be able supply you with a new key

H. Lehmann –Stoke on Trent (Tel. 01782 413 611)

Colchester CRS (Tel. 01206 843 322).

I sold my 500 which was the original post and bought the new 600 isii and a 300 2.8 isii. I attached the keys VERY FIRMLY to the boxes. Actually never used them in anger for air transport. As someone pointed out, you might as well put a "Steal Me" sign on them. Ended up buying a Peli(can) case and putting both lenses into one larger box. Just been to Florida with it and it worked fin. Also carried both lenses as hand luggage (2 people carrying!) and that worked - just.

Michael.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back