• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (1 Viewer)

Thanks Roy.
With a maximum f 6.5 at 1200mm I wonder how often the long end can really be used.
RAW without hacking welcome.

Thanks Roy.
With a maximum f 6.5 at 1200mm I wonder how often the long end can really be used.
If the buffer is anything like the SX40 Mike, then RAW is next to useless IMO for action shots where you are shooting in burst. I tried RAW on the SX40 but is takes several seconds to clear the buffer after each shot!- I settled on the super fine jpeg hack in the end.

Thanks Roy.

Comparing to my GH2 w 100-300 (also about f6 at the long end), this would mean that iso 1600 or even better 3200 should be giving OK results. If the iso cannot hold up up to there, then probably the max zoom would not be usable very often

Niels

Don't think the ISO is really going to hold it up there especially if the light is getting poor, it is a very small sensor after all.
£499! Sheesh, though no doubt it will drop.

It has a slower F3.4-6.5 lens compared to my SX30 IS with F2.7-5.8 35x 24-840mm eqiv zoom or my Nikon P500 with F3.4-5.7 36x 22.5-810mm eqiv zoom.

Attachments

• 7538897416_796a4b067e_b.jpg
    7538897416_796a4b067e_b.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 826
Choices - Do I go for this camera or the Canon 7D with a good lens? I was really thinking about the 7D before I saw this.
The 7D + a decent lens like the 400/5.6 - 100-400 or 300/4 is obviously going to be better, it cost 5x more so that should tell you something. I have both the 7D and SX40 and while the SX40 is a great little lightweight walkaround there is no contest really - the old adage 'you get what you pay for' comes to mind.

Just in case anyone is interested QVC UK shopping channel has it as todays special value for the price of £399.96 for today only...will be £483 after today.
http://www.qvcuk.com/webapp/wcs/sto...MSG=TSV_OTO_INSTOCK&ddkey=http:TSVItemDisplay

With QVC you can use for up to 30 days and if you dont like it you can send it back [you pay for the postage to do that of course] and if you choose to do so instead of paying for it in one go they are doing 4 months easy pay of £99.99, even if you have never shopped with them before. YOu normally get it within 3 to 5 days.

They will be showing it during the day at certain times between these hours 8-9am,12noon-1pm, 4pm-5pm,9pm-10pm, and 11pm to midnight. But they do have an online video presentation of it... They may sell out of it before the day is up, but if this happens most occasions they do manage to get advanced orders which may involve at wait of about 3 weeks [but they dont take the money out until they send it]

Last edited:
We took delivery of one yesterday and I took a few shots with it today, just on auto. I've not had time to play around with it yet.

Certainly well specified and easy to use. Even managed a few flight shots with it of gulls and Marsh Harrier.

Attachments

• IMG_0028a.jpg
    IMG_0028a.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,967
  • IMG_0048a.jpg
    IMG_0048a.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,572
  • IMG_0052a.jpg
    IMG_0052a.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 1,243
  • IMG_0053a.jpg
    IMG_0053a.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,325
  • IMG_0075a.jpg
    IMG_0075a.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 1,519
Superb shots. I'm watching the SX50 with some interest as I use the SX30 for my bird shots and have been very happy with it. But am now looking to move up a little and not sure between SX40 or SX50. Any ideas anyone between the two for birding?

Superb shots. I'm watching the SX50 with some interest as I use the SX30 for my bird shots and have been very happy with it. But am now looking to move up a little and not sure between SX40 or SX50. Any ideas anyone between the two for birding?

I am in the same situation and don't know which to go for.
More pics and info anyone!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back