• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

9x42 SPWA Condor (1 Viewer)

ralphw

Today my Swift SPWA 9x42 Condor arrived. Yes you read it well, it's not a 10x42 condor nor is it a 9x42 SPWA but somehow the nameconvention with this bino got mixed up.

The quality is great, very transparant with very very little CA and a nice look and feel. Since this is my first swift, not much comparison there. Since I also "won" a 8,5x44 type 1c on ebay (never bet on a single horse but who thought two would be winning) that will arrive in 1-2 weeks and these two will make a marvelous comparison possible. Afterwards I'll deside which will stay and which will go, we'll see which one wins..

I'm the third owner of the bino (but second user). The person who I acquired it from got it from his dad who bought it on a returntrip from the US to france some 20 years ago (the serialnumber put's it manufacturingdate at around 1990). He was an enthusiastic ornithologist and obviously took care of his equipment very well. Since his son didn't use it he put it up for sale.

For now, and for the historical records a number off pictures.

Attachments

• serie.jpg
    serie.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 172
  • condor.jpg
    condor.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 222
  • condor2.jpg
    condor2.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 246
  • condor3.jpg
    condor3.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 188
. Hi ralphw, and welcome.
This looks like an interesting and useful binocular.
hopefully, it will give good views.
Good luck with it.

Today my Swift SPWA 9x42 Condor arrived. Yes you read it well, it's not a 10x42 condor nor is it a 9x42 SPWA but somehow the nameconvention with this bino got mixed up.

The quality is great, very transparant with very very little CA and a nice look and feel. Since this is my first swift, not much comparison there. Since I also "won" a 8,5x44 type 1c on ebay (never bet on a single horse but who thought two would be winning) that will arrive in 1-2 weeks and these two will make a marvelous comparison possible. Afterwards I'll deside which will stay and which will go, we'll see which one wins..

I'm the third owner of the bino (but second user). The person who I acquired it from got it from his dad who bought it on a returntrip from the US to france some 20 years ago (the serialnumber put's it manufacturingdate at around 1990). He was an enthusiastic ornithologist and obviously took care of his equipment very well. Since his son didn't use it he put it up for sale.

For now, and for the historical records a number off pictures.

Welcome to Bird Forum.

Very interesting. This is a good example of Swift-Pyser's authority to market their own configurations under the Swift banner.

I'd be very interested to see pictures of your Type 1c as well.

Thanks for posting this.

Ed

So the next one arrived, the 1c. First impression, bigger, heavier, less reflections, less collimated :) and much much older.

The bino itself is in great shape, no scratches on the glass what so ever.

Now to deside which one will stay and which one will go.......

Attachments

• solo1.jpg
    solo1.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 130
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 133
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 145
  • solo2.jpg
    solo2.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 118
  • twin.jpg
    twin.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 122
Today a audubon hr/5 8,5x44 arrived. This one will replace the SPWA 9x42. Not because of it's quality but since I only have one pair of eyes one must choose. In the end I do not see any quality difference between the SPWA and the HR/5 except from some very minor difference in reflections. If someone is interested in the SPWA, send me a PM.

Ralph

Last edited:
Today a audubon hr/5 8,5x44 arrived. This one will replace the SPWA 9x42. Not because of it's quality but since I only have one pair of eyes one must choose. In the end I do not see any quality difference between the SPWA and the HR/5 except from some very minor difference in reflections. If someone is interested in the SPWA, send me a PM.

Ralph

Ralph,

Which HR/5 did you get? Later models were fully multi-coated and an improvement over the (partially) multi-coated optics you probably have in the SPWA 9x42.

BTW, do you use the 1c?

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back