• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Image Editing Software (1 Viewer)

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but...

I'm struggling to find an image editing software. I don't want/need anything too professional or sofisticated, just some basic editing (sharpness, saturation, exposure etc.) with noise removal would be appreciated.
I use Mac so no photoshop for me (as far as I know)...

Thanks for your help.
And if this isn't the right place for this, I would appreciate if you show me where is.

Probably better in Photoshop etc. section. But while we're here: Mac versions of photoshop are available, used to be every other update was a Mac version, not sure if that still applies.

Photoshop is definitely available for the Mac - Macs are used in far more imaging processing labs and by pro photographers than PC's.

Photoshop Elements is very good and reasonably priced. A lot of people will tell you that it does 90% of what full Photoshop CC does which is true to an extent but having used both I would never go back to Elements. CC is faster, a lot more powerful and once you have got your head round it all round more useable.

It is also well priced on a monthly subscription now at £9ish or $10 USD p/m for CC and Lightroom. That said if they see overwhelming then Elements will be just fine if you are not looking to get in to serious photo work.

As you're in the Canon forum I would think you could do quite well with Canon's own DPP software, which was supplied with the camera. There will likely be a newer version available from the website for free.

Otherwise my personal preference is for Lightroom. I've tried Photoshop (both Elements and the full version) and it just doesn't suit the way my brain works and I haven't the time and patience to try to understand it.

I use a Mac and for years all my photo editing was done in Photoshop Elements. I used Neat Image as a plug-in for noise reduction.

However, I recently switched to Lightroom and find it excellent. It can seem a bit overwhelming at first, but there are many excellent online tutorial videos to help get you started.

Malcolm

I don't know about Macs but you should check out Picasa or Faststone to see if there are mac versions. They are each free and will do a could job of basic editing.

Give Adobe Lightroom a try. Gives you what you asked for in an intuitive bundle. Photoshop and PS Elements are great but anyting but basic ...

You can download the full version and run it for 30 days without any functional limitations. When the month is over you should be able to make an informed decision to buy it or try something else. BTW Lightroom can be "leased" in a bundle with Photoshop for $10/month or bought as a stand-alone licence ....

Hello,
I own the Canon SX50 and really enjoy using Photoshop Elements 12 along with a few of the excellent products from Topaz Labs. I mainly use their Topaz DeNoise and most recently, Topaz Adjust. While the Elements 12 & the Topaz software allow fairly elaborate control, I mainly use the convenient one-click "Presets" these programs have to offer. I've learned to capture good initial or "foundation" photos from my SX50 so my post-processing literally takes less than a couple of minutes, especially because the available presets do just fine by me.

Here's my Canon SX50 Gallery to show you my results:
http://www.tonybritton.smugmug.com/

Best regards,
Tony

Just to throw another one in: I use ACDSee for all my photo editing, and there is a dedicated Mac version.

Niels

If you create a free account with Adobe then lightroom is available as a trial,then you can see if you like it without spending out.

Steve.

GIMP for Mac OS X. Since the 2.8.2 version GIMP runs on OSX natively. No X11 environment is required. Native builds Currently there are two main installers. Visit the GIMP site and look under downloads for more info on installing.

phil

Hi all and I'm sorry for the late answer.
Thanks for the great responses. So far I have failed to find Photoshop in Mac, as all of them appear to be updates and not the "real thing".
I haven't tried Lightroom yet.
My main concern in editing is noise reduction. Canon EOS 7D has a reputation of being a noisy camera, and that is why most of my images need noise reduction. However, what I'm specifically looking for is Selective Noise Reduction, where you can basically select where to apply noise reduction and where not to.
Do you have any suggestions on that? I use Neat Image Demo and it doesn't have it.

My main concern in editing is noise reduction. Canon EOS 7D has a reputation of being a noisy camera, and that is why most of my images need noise reduction. However, what I'm specifically looking for is Selective Noise Reduction, where you can basically select where to apply noise reduction and where not to.
Do you have any suggestions on that? I use Neat Image Demo and it doesn't have it.
Selective noise reduction (and other edits) is normally done by using layer masks in you editing software. You basically duplicate the image,apply the NR globally and then create a layer mask - from there its just a case of painting in the areas you want the NR to apply to. I use TopazDenoise which is a Photoshop plugin

I've been trying to download a free trial of Lightroom for a few hours now and I understand that Lightroom doesn't support OS X 10.6.8, which is what I'm using now.
Apparently I should upgrade it to OS X 10.9 but I'm a little skeptical...

I've been trying to download a free trial of Lightroom for a few hours now and I understand that Lightroom doesn't support OS X 10.6.8, which is what I'm using now.
Apparently I should upgrade it to OS X 10.9 but I'm a little skeptical...

Lightroom 4 was the last version to work with OSX10.6.8.
I have just checked and Lightroom 4 is still on sale with Amazon,and Lightroom 4.4 is still available to download from Adobe.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for your response:)
I have tried downloading free trial of 4.4 but it says that an error occurred when I open it, making it useless.
I really don't want to upgrade to Mavericks; so I think I'm going to buy Lightroom 4.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for your response:)
I have tried downloading free trial of 4.4 but it says that an error occurred when I open it, making it useless.
I really don't want to upgrade to Mavericks; so I think I'm going to buy Lightroom 4.

Good choice and with Topaz Denoise plugin,you will be all set up for working on your photographs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back