• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flying shot ID please Pakistan (1 Viewer)

A crow for me too, but agree not a House Crow, the bill shape is wrong. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with what other crows you get in Pakistan.

I don't think it's a crow at all, what drongos occur in Pakistan? The parti-coloured bill and a suggestion of a forked tail incline me this way, but size is impossible to judge of course

I see no sign of a forked tail (looks square-ended apart from that a couple of feathers are moulted out), nor of a drongo's red eye.

As far as I can tell (difficult as the species maps I've got access to don't show national boundaries), the only drongo widespread in Pakistan is Black Drongo, and that has a deeply forked tail. Ashy Drongo occurs locally, but of course isn't black.

The parti-coloured bill might just be a sign of an immature bird?

the problem is that i forgot the situation of this picture, normally i correlate it with personal observation before flight or the whereabouts but this picture is totally misplaced in my memories all i could guess is that this was somewhere in the herd of Rosy myna

I think so too, caught at an odd angle. Note the huge feet, should rule out drongo's etc.

Although Black Drongo can lose its forked tail during moult, the feet in the image do suggest a corvid.

It resembles a bleached-out (immature?) Hooded Crow of the small (in the east of its distribution) subspecies Corvus cornix sharpii. The alternative might be a very faded Oriental Crow C. (corone) orientalis; IOC await more data before deciding on this taxon's rank.

I don't think there has been any record of Mesopotamian Crow C. (cornix) capellanus as far east as Pakistan. Its easternmost limit is understood to be SW Iran.
MJB

Although Black Drongo can lose its forked tail during moult, the feet in the image do suggest a corvid.

It resembles a bleached-out (immature?) Hooded Crow of the small (in the east of its distribution) subspecies Corvus cornix sharpii.

Possible, but I would have expected perhaps a bit more demarcation visible - http://ibc.lynxeds.com/species/hooded-crow-corvus-cornix though a juv would be a lot scruffier and less obvious. Wouldn't this be very rare, especially at this time of year? IBC shows distribution south to Afghanistan, no mention of Pakistan - http://ibc.lynxeds.com/species/hooded-crow-corvus-cornix although I see it is on the wikilist.

Last edited:
You people are great, the host of area after seeing the pictures of Hooded Crow (Corvus cornix) confirmed that this type of bird is present in the area during this time of year may be the new distribution range

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back