• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hello from vancouver canada (1 Viewer)

I came across this site while searching for information about hornbills. I am fascinated by the behaviour of any animal or bird yet am not overly savvy with birds yet. While on a tour last week, I witnessed a female Abyssinian Ground Hornbill offering her chicken neck repeatedly to a young woman who suffers from depression and is currently living in the psych ward of a local hospital and was on a weekend pass out of the hospital. The attempts of the bird to repeatedly offer this young woman food went on for a half an hour before the rest of the people in the tour wanted to move on. It was such a caring gesture and I wonder if anyone has seen this behaviour. Apparently this bird does try to make offerings, yet she was intent on this one person receiving what she had to give. We left her and went on to an Andean Condor who did a similar thing, yet in a very brazen and macho way -- he took up his large piece of rotting meat and bones and kept swinging it in his beak, offering it to her. My perception was that these birds knew she needed nourishment of some kind.
Any feedback on this?
Interested in hearing from you.

Hello collieflower and welcome to BirdForum from those of us on staff.

I can't answer your question as I am not familiar with the species but perhaps someone else will offer some suggestions and their thoughts on this.

Hi, Collieflower, and welcome to BirdForum.

You were "on tour" in Vancouver and there's a captive bird training program that works with the mentally challenged? You might want to contact your tour company and find out about the program that provided the birds to the facilities you toured. BirdForum is about the discussion of wild birds only, so the response here may be minimal.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back