• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (1 Viewer)

Yet another Red Kite! This time about a mile SW of Sherborne at 10.45 this morning. It was being mobbed by three corvids and, again, I was driving and it had disappeared from sight by the time I was able to stop.

Am I just getting lucky or are there more around at the moment?

You're lucky! even if there are more around I'm not seeing them!

At last a Dorset Red Kite!!! Lunchtime between Ashmore and Ashmore Bottom. Also, yesterday after visiting the Swannery, 5 Little Terns at the Portland end of the Fleet. Few Gannets and Manx out to sea. Do feral Bar-headed geese and Black Swans count?

Last edited:
Longham lakes news and pictures

Drake garganey still present and hobby on a pylon. I reckon at least 200 swifts over the reserve too. The swans on the island now have five young.
Chris

Attachments

• P1020498.jpg
    P1020498.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 49
  • P1020536.jpg
    P1020536.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 49
Yet another Red Kite! On the A37 by the turning to Yetminster, about 5 miles from Yeovil. Very low, got a good view but no chance to take a photo.

was a pleasant suprise to see two of these this morning. There hasn't been many at Radipole this, probably due to the really cold winter. Good to know that there are some juvs around!

Attachments

• baby beardies 028.jpg
    baby beardies 028.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 54
  • baby beardies 021.jpg
    baby beardies 021.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 63
Common sandpiper at Longham this evening, and lots of big gulls arriving pre-roost. Also this one bloody swan - don't know what got him, but the stuff round his neck looked to be weed, not fishing line. New fox and roe deer too on Hampreston fields
Chris

Attachments

• P1020849.jpg
    P1020849.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 49
Got stunning views of the Gull billed Tern yesterday evening off the tank traps at abbotsbury. Took a long time to actually see it well worth it in the end!

Also we had 9 common sands at Radipole this morning.

Longham lake today

Very quiet at the lake this morning, highlights were 4 little grebes and a pair of great crested grebes still doing that fetching weed courtship thing - bit late isn't it?
Loads of young pied wags everywhere.
Chris

Was down your way on Monday saw some great birds including Dartford Warbler and 2 Nightjar flushed from the same spot all at Studland Heath :) First for me.

At long last got a common tern at Longham, first for the year. Made my day.
Also one common sandpiper and one lrp.
Counted at least 60 coot on the big lake.
Alsio a fox and cub walking round the track on the far side.
Chris

Longham, yesterday and today

Three pairs of tufted ducks with youngsters on the big lake this morning. They don't look very old - do tufteds breed later than mallards? Cute fluffy black ducklings. One female had 11 with her (see attached pic - aren't they cute?!).
Also 2 common sandpipers, peregrine and a common tern.

Tuesday
All birds still present, maybe as many as 4 common sands but only ever 2 together!

Attachments

• P1030014.jpg
    P1030014.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 41

Users who are viewing this thread

Back