• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (3 Viewers)

Lots at Longham Lakes today. Went early afternoon and had 1 Spotted Fly, 1 Whinchat, 1 Redstart, 1 Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Common Whitethroat, 1 Blackcap and dozens on Chiffchaffs.

Also 2 Common Sandpipers and 1 Green Sandpiper there.

The juvenile Ruff was there yesterday, and in recent days there has been 20+ Yellow Wags, 1 Dunlin, 14 Greenshanks in a flock, 1 Osprey and a few moulting ducks. It's pretty good at the moment.

My yearly Pied Flycatcher turned up in the garden on the edge of Ferndown Common today - wonderful.

And Luke, thanks for asking. The Bird Fair was tremendous fun. Had a really good audience for a lecture on endangered birds, and had a ball at Just a Linnet.

Grey day round the lake, but lots of birds.
2 green sandpipers, 1 greenshank, 2 common sandpipers, 1 wheatear, at least 1 willow warbler among dozens of chiffchaffs.
Sparrowhawk mobbed by magpies and a jay, lots of linnets, 12 gadwall, 1 grey wagtail.
Rain on the way I predict.

Chris

Longham lake today

Still lots of chiffs around today, plus yellow wags and a spotted flycatcher

Attachments

• P1030952.jpg
    P1030952.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 50
  • P1030960.jpg
    P1030960.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 43
  • P1030973.jpg
    P1030973.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 40
Hi Chris, tried sending a PM, but your inbox is full. Just to say :t: :t: for the tripod tip. I reckon we'll get one of those too.

Cheers mate,

Larry

Longham lake today

One reed warbler showing well was today's highlight. Also one common sandpiper and several chiffchaff, two ravens gonking overhead and still all three hirundines. Water levels are high now, so the island is almost useless for birds.
Chris

Longham lake today

Lovely day but very quiet at the lake . Only unexpected birds were 5 wigeon and a little egret on the island. No migrants that I could find.
Chris

Got away from Longham today, to have a look at the ibis at Stanpit (my second one there this year!!!).
Not quite as close as I'd hoped but still cracking views
Chris

Attachments

• P1040020_2.jpg
    P1040020_2.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 48
Chris,

I went to Stanpit too today:t: What time were you there? The Ibis kept getting closer and closer, it doesnt seemed bothered by people much. I also went over to see the Wryneck, caught a quick glimse but didnt manage a pic.

Pic of Ibis here:

glossy ibis 1 by Dirtywater2009, on Flickr

Chris,

I went to Stanpit too today:t: What time were you there? The Ibis kept getting closer and closer, it doesnt seemed bothered by people much. I also went over to see the Wryneck, caught a quick glimse but didnt manage a pic.
Wow that's the sort of picture I wanted! I was there at 10am, were you the guy with the big lens on the edge of the bushes? The weather wasn't that good when I was there.
Chris

Wow that's the sort of picture I wanted! I was there at 10am, were you the guy with the big lens on the edge of the bushes? The weather wasn't that good when I was there.
Chris

I arrived about 1030 i think. I know which guy you mean, but no. I was the guy with a push chair:t:

The pic was not taken then, i walked on round and came back about 2 hrs later. The sun had come up and he came really close:eek!:

I arrived about 1030 i think. I know which guy you mean, but no. I was the guy with a push chair:t:

The pic was not taken then, i walked on round and came back about 2 hrs later. The sun had come up and he came really close:eek!:

I'll keep my eyes open for a bloke with a push chair in future. I'm usually accompanied by 2 screaming daughters!

longham lake tonight

Highlights were 2 snipe, the first of the season, 4 wigeon, a kingfisher and one common sandpiper.

Sadly no stork, ibis or yellow bellied flycatcher that i could find

Chris

white stork at wareham

Here are three if you couldn't be bothered to follow the link

Attachments

• P1040164.jpg
    P1040164.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 49
  • P1040178.jpg
    P1040178.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 42
  • P1040191.jpg