• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new porros in shops yet? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
has anyone seen the new minox bd bp porro prisms in the shops yet,i know they have been realised a while now but these things can take an eternity to
be stocked by the few minox dealers in norfolk.
shortly before christmas i asked about these at cley but the guy was'nt sure when or if he would stock them.judging by recent posts about them they are highly regarded but that focus wheel looks a little slippery with such a small area of it covered with rubber,also a recent review in birdwatching said the wheel had a little too much resistance.if i cant scrape the barrel for a pair of trinovids by the end of next month it's these or something similar from opticron or swift?.any thoughts.

matt

Hi Matt

Opticron do a very similar water proof porro prism that you will find in the shops - the HR WP retails for about £239 for the 8x42s (I think...) Personally I've yet to see the Minox porros, but the Opticron ones are very good indeed, they offer excellent optical quality for the money. I would not be suprised if the lack of Minox in the shops is due to these new Opticrons - the Opticrons are a near identical product, but have a power price tag!

postcardcv said:
Hi Matt

Opticron do a very similar water proof porro prism that you will find in the shops - the HR WP retails for about £239 for the 8x42s (I think...) Personally I've yet to see the Minox porros, but the Opticron ones are very good indeed, they offer excellent optical quality for the money. I would not be suprised if the lack of Minox in the shops is due to these new Opticrons - the Opticrons are a near identical product, but have a power price tag!
thanks for that advice,i did compare those opticron porros with the verano roofprisms and found both very good.
the verano roofs might have the edge as far as handling,my current bins are opticron tga 7+42 porro prisms which themselves are very good but the bridge is so loose they constantly lose dioptic focus when focusing from close to infinity.

matt

matt green said:
my current bins are opticron tga 7+42 porro prisms which themselves are very good but the bridge is so loose they constantly lose dioptic focus when focusing from close to infinity.

matt

If you're happy with the optical performance of your existing bins you could always look into getting them repaired... you might even find that it could be sorted out under warranty. This is definitely worth looking into, if you can get them sorted without cost they'll have a better trade in value when you do decide to change.

matt green said:
has anyone seen the new minox bd bp porro prisms in the shops yet,i know they have been realised a while now but these things can take an eternity to
be stocked by the few minox dealers in norfolk.
shortly before christmas i asked about these at cley but the guy was'nt sure when or if he would stock them.judging by recent posts about them they are highly regarded but that focus wheel looks a little slippery with such a small area of it covered with rubber,also a recent review in birdwatching said the wheel had a little too much resistance.if i cant scrape the barrel for a pair of trinovids by the end of next month it's these or something similar from opticron or swift?.any thoughts.

matt

I cant really say about shops (I got mine from Sherwoods online for £255), but I've not found any problems using the focus wheel with my gloves on or off. They're pretty much equivalent to the HRWP's but with my smaller hands I found the BP's handled better.

-Si

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back