• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trumpeter or Tundra Swan? Cambridge, ON (1 Viewer)

Gillian_M

Birding since 2006!
I found some good spots to go birdwatching in Cambridge yesterday and to my delight I found a group of about 10 swans - adults and juveniles - at the Bannister Conservation Area. Unfortunately the grey, misty day made for some bad photos. Still, I'm hoping someone can confirm their identity. I'm leaning toward Trumpeter because of the lack of anything resembling yellow lores, though the rounded border of its bill makes me think Tundra. If it helps, two groups flew in out of the mist (which was a cool sight) and we heard them before we saw them - their voices had a heron-like quality to them, and I thought at first that a group of noisy herons were flying toward us!

A second group of photos will be posted.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Attachments

• Cambridge 111 (2).jpg
    Cambridge 111 (2).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Cambridge 125 (2).jpg
    Cambridge 125 (2).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Cambridge 126 (2).jpg
    Cambridge 126 (2).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 61
  • Cambridge 129 (2).jpg
    Cambridge 129 (2).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Cambridge 134 (2).jpg
    Cambridge 134 (2).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 65
Here are the three remaining shots, including juveniles.

Also, a quick question - if they are Trumpeter Swans, are they countable for my life list? I was told that they are not countable according to ABA rules.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Cambridge 136 (2).jpg
    Cambridge 136 (2).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Cambridge 136 (3).jpg
    Cambridge 136 (3).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Cambridge 138 (2).jpg
    Cambridge 138 (2).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Cambridge 126 (3).jpg
    Cambridge 126 (3).jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 60
They are Trumpeter Swans. The shape of the head and more noticeably the slant to the top of the bill (straight, like a Canvasback, not with the slope in the bill as in the Tundra Swan) are characteristics of Trumpeters.

I am not certain, but I do not think ABA has them as countable ... yet!

* We have had them nest and raise young here in Missouri, so I believe before very long they will become countable by ABA rules.

There have been untagged Trumpeters on Bannister Lake for a few years now. They have raised young there (in 2003 at least) and have been around for at least one Christmas count.

They are certainly countable in parts of the ABA as they are naturally occurring. All of the Ontario birds are regarded as the result of the somewhat contraversal introduction and I'm not sure of their status.

I don't do any ABA type of lists, just mine. But are you saying, Larry, that they are not countable if they are banded? The ones we get here nest in Wisconsin.

Tero,

It's not a question of whether they're banded, but whether they are part of a re-introduction program versus naturally occurring. The Ontario birds were re-introduced, so until they can re-establish multiple generations breeding naturally, they aren't countable. I don't know enough about the birds in your area to say whether a strict lister would consider them countable or not.

The ABA lists the Trumpeter Swan as countable, but the 'trick is' to determine whether they are birds from a re-introduction program or naturally occurring birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back