• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Swans with wild swans (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dunstan

Forgive the slightly quirky nature of this one but I would like second opinions if possible.

For the last few days my local Whooper flock (c90 birds) has been joined by a handful of Bewick's and a Black Swan. Now the point is that this is about the fourth time in recent years I have seen Black Swans with wild swans on the Fylde in recent years. I would like to think it is the same bird, but there were two one year which rather spoils that.

What I would like to know is does anybody have any theories about why this should occur so frequently. My intuitive thought is that Black Swans would associate with Mute Swans in situations where there is a supply of free food, and this certainly happens also especially in the summer. Could it be that because Mute Swans are aggressive and territorial that Black Swans will join up with field feeding wild swans because they are more accepting?

You can wake up now!

Stephen.

I think it's just swans' tendency to flock outside the breeding season. Even Mute Swans flock, albeit not to the same extent as Bewick'ses and Whoopers (being non-migratory they can afford to maintain looser groupings).

Jason

And another thing as Jason has sort of brought it up - what is the correct plural of Bewick's. Is it still Bewick's?

Obviously I mean when the word swan isn't used as well!

Stephen.

I saw four Black Swans today along the Nene Valley around Northampton. The only other swans to tag along with were Mutes, although aside from one pair, the Blacks remained separate from each other. I know when Black Swans turn up in the east of Scotland it's often suggested that they have come from feral populations on the continent (around Denmark?). Maybe feral birds in that part of the world get in with flocks of Whooper or Bewick's whilst these migrate through and carry on to Britain. The species they end up with perhaps depends on the origin of your Black Swan.

Andrew,

That's an interesting theory, thanks.

One thing I can say is that a flock of Whoopers in flight with the striking black and white of a flying Black Swan is quite a sight.

Stephen.

Stephen,your story is interesting.2 years ago,there were 2 Black swans in the harbour here at haverigg,We were on holiday at the time.I had never seen a Black swan before,could not find it in the bird guide,but on chatting to a guy in Sherwood forest,he assured me it was a Black swan and that they originally were kept as ornamental birds so to speak,in walled gardens,having been imported from abroad a century ago,or more.Is this true?.I have seen them only once here,since then,and on the second occasion there was only the 1 swan.On re reading,walled garden means ornamental lake etc.
Christine.

Up to six Black Swans associated with the Whoopers and Bewick's's's' on the Nene Washes last winter. Interestingly they left at the same time as the yellow-bills last spring and one was then reported with Whoopers in Iceland!

Thanks everyone,

I always wondered if a Black Swan had ever ended up in Iceland on the back of this trait, so it is interesting to know that it has happened at least once.

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Thanks everyone,

I always wondered if a Black Swan had ever ended up in Iceland on the back of this trait, so it is interesting to know that it has happened at least once.

Stephen.

Black Swans have turned up regularly with Whooper Swans in south-east Iceland in recent years. There were at least four this summer and one is still present. It's thought likely that they may attempt to breed in the near future.

E

Edward,

Thanks for this, maybe it's me but I find this whole thing fascinating.

I take it that Black Swans aren't kept in captivity in Iceland.

Stephen.

Hi Steven,

No wildfowl of any kind (except farmyard freaks) is kept in captivity in Iceland so when things like Mandarins, Bar-headed Geese turn up we know they must come from somewhere else. The Black Swans of course "come from" the UK and Ireland which is where most of our Whoopers overwinter.

E

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back