• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More dragonflies for ID ~SW Turkey (1 Viewer)

Atricapilla

Still Wandering
Here's 3 I will try to ID,:~
1.Broad -bodied chaser,female.
2.Southern skimmer ,female or is it a Keeled skimmer.
3. Keeled skimmer,male.
Help needed.

Attachments

• ch2.jpg
    ch2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 45
  • unkn.jpg
    unkn.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 40
  • chaser.jpg
    chaser.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 44
Here's 3 I will try to ID,:~
1.Broad -bodied chaser,female.
2.Southern skimmer ,female or is it a Keeled skimmer.
3. Keeled skimmer,male.
Help needed.
Hi Bob

1. Broad-bodied chaser, MALE - it has the male appendages at the end of the abdomen

2. Looks like a female Broad Scarlet - based on the plain sides to the thorax, all yellow legs and the prominent vulvar spine

3. I lean towards Southern Skimmer - short pterostigma, white face - but it could be a Keeled Skimmer which go all pruinose in Turkey. I think we're only seeing the hindwings - the venation on the forewings can be useful in separating keeled and southern if you have another shot from above or behind.

Aside: I just received a copy of d'Aguilars book - some useful stuff in there.

Hi Bob

1. Broad-bodied chaser, MALE - it has the male appendages at the end of the abdomen

2. Looks like a female Broad Scarlet - based on the plain sides to the thorax, all yellow legs and the prominent vulvar spine

3. I lean towards Southern Skimmer - short pterostigma, white face - but it could be a Keeled Skimmer which go all pruinose in Turkey. I think we're only seeing the hindwings - the venation on the forewings can be useful in separating keeled and southern if you have another shot from above or behind.

Aside: I just received a copy of d'Aguilars book - some useful stuff in there.

Thanks for all the great observational tips Paul,I can see this is going to be a steep learning curve.
I have received both books now ,amazing detail in Richard Lewington's drawings.

Thanks for all the great observational tips Paul,I can see this is going to be a steep learning curve.

Yes - it still is for me! You get more 'confusion' species when you go south from the UK - lots or red darters that look the same, lost of blue skimmers that look the same, lots of blue damsels that look the same ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back