• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mixed Up Coal Tit (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

I have had a Coal Tit for the last 15/20 minutes taking sunflower hearts out of the feeder and storing them among the branches of the bare climbing hydrangea. Strange it usually prefers to eat black sunflower seeds Does it know something we don't? Warm sunny day here but is winter on the way back?

Just had to post this, I think it is funny.

Ann

LOL, Ann, our Mountain Chickadee is doing something similar: Taking sunflower hearts and pounding them under the shingles of our roof! I saw them do this last fall, so I'm with you: Are there a few more weeks of winter still? :-C

A CHAPLIN said:
I have had a Coal Tit for the last 15/20 minutes taking sunflower hearts out of the feeder and storing them among the branches of the bare climbing hydrangea. Strange it usually prefers to eat black sunflower seeds Does it know something we don't? Warm sunny day here but is winter on the way back?

Just had to post this, I think it is funny.

Ann

Hi Ann,
I think this is - usual habit.I am sure the tit family store food a bit like squirrels ha ha. o:) :smoke:The blue tits certainly do.

After today's glorious sunshine and balmy temperatures I certainly hope winter has gone! I'd forgotten JUST how heavenly and peaceful a Spring day is...sun was out, birds were singing, bumble bees buzzing around, not a breath of wind and,behind the woods and on the hill, my first Skylark was singing his little heart out.....who needs anti-depressants? Mother Nature is a million times better for the soul!!!
But bearing in mind the fact that it's only 19th March, I'm sure we shouldn't put our winter woolies away yet! *sigh*
I'm going to get out tomorrow morning at first light in the hope of seeing a few Roe, foxes, badgers even *fingers crossed!*....i KNOW they are there - I just never see them, with the exception of the Roe!

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
After today's glorious sunshine and balmy temperatures I certainly hope winter has gone! I'd forgotten JUST how heavenly and peaceful a Spring day is...sun was out, birds were singing, bumble bees buzzing around, not a breath of wind and,behind the woods and on the hill, my first Skylark was singing his little heart out.....who needs anti-depressants? Mother Nature is a million times better for the soul!!!
But bearing in mind the fact that it's only 19th March, I'm sure we shouldn't put our winter woolies away yet! *sigh*
I'm going to get out tomorrow morning at first light in the hope of seeing a few Roe, foxes, badgers even *fingers crossed!*....i KNOW they are there - I just never see them, with the exception of the Roe!

GILL
Lets hope it stays this way for Easter.

Hope you get to see those Roe,Foxes and Badgers. o:)

I'll be stuck in decorating but hope to enjoy Easter weekend in the garden. :news:

They always did this in our firs too. This year I was particularly excited by the Coal Tits showing one day as strangely it was the only day this winter as opposed to usually feeding everyday!

Members of the Tit family very often do this. Sometimes they hide and store the food (nuts, seeds etc) for future use, and sometimes they just use the tree as a vice for holding the food while they tuck in.

I have regularly seen the Blue Tits (especially) do this, as I think that it takes them and their food away from the feeders, and away from Greenfinches etc who will often have a go at removing their sometimes hard earned gains. The Great Tits will also remove sunflower hearts from the feeder, then pop into the tree the feeder hangs on and peck away at the food. This often goes on when there is nothing else (apparently) in the graden.

I suppose it's a bit like Thrushes and rock "anvils" with their snails - using what they can to get at the food that little bit easier.

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back