• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Songthrush, Wren & Mealworms. (1 Viewer)

Have been away for a week, and had to send an urgent order for mealworms! My son, who kindly agreed to do the feeding, has let the sparrows have the lot! Just enough left to get the robins through to Tuesday, I hope!
Mary

Attachments

• Sparrow&mealworm.jpg
    Sparrow&mealworm.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 96
Hi Edrick

There are people who actually eat mealworms, it is rich in protein, there are several sites with recipes, the two I posted are from such a site. I think it is just what you are used to, I also wouldn't eat them, but who knows maybe with fried onions and garlic, garam massala and pandan rice, mmmmmmmm!!!

I think all birds love mealworms, Robins, Sparrows, Coots, Moorhens, Jackdaws, Tits etc, to them it is the equivalent of Fillet steak.

Last edited:
The dunnocks are now taking worms away. Not actually seen any tits take any to a nest, they just pick them up and eat them. Although it's possible a marsh tit is taking to a nest. For me though, the most satisfying sight is the songthrush and the little wren taking them, although the wren is eating them and not taking them away. The blackbirds are busy feeding their young, and they always chase off the songthrush.

Ronald

I guess you're right with the food. It never ceases to amaze me what some folk will eat - just look and see what the Chinese especially will consume. I think there is a saying that in China, if it moves, they eat it! (Please, no replies from upset Chinese people as no offence was meant!)

As long as the birds are happy and well fed, the young get enough protein to help them grow, then that's OK by me.

Regards,

MikeDale said:
I've reported you all to the RSPCM.
Wait for it ....the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Mealworms ;)
Mike, wait for it, someone I personally know, turned round to me and said "Those poor worms, how can you put them out for the birds". "Easy" I said, "Just grab a handful, like this...and pop them in the dish".

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back