• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Undesirables- QTVideo (1 Viewer)

alarson2

The Village Vidiot
My friend Marsha calls them "Junk Birds." Hmmmm. I'm really not sure what to think. I don't really mind them too much except when they bully the other more desirables off the feeder. My seed would surely last a lot longer if they were in somebody else's yard.

JunkBirds

Attachments

• Grac.jpg
    Grac.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 87
Cool closeup of the grackle. I can handle them but personally, I actually despise cowbirds. Can't stand the sight of them. I'm so glad I don't have many of them here! I've seen one male so far this year, that's it. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Beautiful closeup on the dove tho'! :)

The only feeders they can get to here are filled with safflower and they don't care for that and they can't get in the squirrel proof feeders but they are putting a big dent in the suet feeders.

KCFoggin said:
The only feeders they can get to here are filled with safflower and they don't care for that and they can't get in the squirrel proof feeders but they are putting a big dent in the suet feeders.

I'm leaving the remnants of last winter's suet out there for them to finish off. I've taken away the bigger feeders they could fit on and have put them away until next October, when starlings are gone. Only small feeders are left out for the summer for various reasons.... #1. They need so much feed in the summer... #2. Bear concerns!!.... #3. Grackles and starlings have a real hard time feeding from them and are pretty much relegated to ground feeding.

Seems to be working! :)

Alan, I really enjoy watching your movies. Thanks for posting them everyday. What is the all light brown bird in the second half of this movie?

I love Grackles. There, I have said it.
Of course, where I am they are about the only birds I get.
The Grackles seem to feed at different times than the other birds.
Cardinals-morning, early evening.
White-throated Sparrow-early evening to dusk
Squirrels-ALL the time
House Finches-late morning
Grackles--whenever, but not too early

And I scatter seed on the ground, that seems to keep them out of the feeders.
Right now I am worried about the seed running out in the feeder and on the ground, which it does everyday. I have a hole in the door to the basement where i keep my seed. The squirrels have figured it out, and I have noticed the Grackles have been watching the squirrels. Luckily there is a second door to the inside of the basement that no one can get into...hopefully. Seed runs out=creatures in my basement door.

Rambling on
Elizabeth

smudgepot said:
Alan, I really enjoy watching your movies. Thanks for posting them everyday. What is the all light brown bird in the second half of this movie?

I believe you are talking about a female brown headed cowbird.

Yep- Tammie is correct on that ID. Female brown headed cowbird. Not everybody sees them on the feeder. They are a little rare here but I must say that I have seen more of them this year than ever before. At one time there were four on my feeder- 2 males and 2 females. When I was taping that vid with the pretty birds, there were 2 females on the feeder.

Last edited:
birdpotter said:
I love Grackles. There, I have said it.

Rambling on
Elizabeth

Elizabeth- I really like them OK myself. It's just that they can be a bit bossy at times. I have seen them push the "pretties" off the suet just because- not because they were hungry- just because the other birds were there.

Alan

Last edited:
Alan,
I asked you about hummingbird videos a while back. Any luck yet?
I got about 30 seconds of a female RT here, but the file is 9MB! Is there any way I can get that smaller so that I can put it somewhere and share with people?
Heather

Well let's see. Hmmmmm. No Hummers yet.

How did you get that video? Digital camera? camcorder? See, I have spent a fortune on the gear I have here- My video software was $1300. I can convert any file to any other file with Final Cut Pro. You are using windows right? There is a movie maker in XP I think- Import that clip to "MovieMaker" and look around in there to see if you can resize the clip for email or web. I convert all mine to mp4- I don't know if that will be an option for you- I think AVI is your native format. I'm pretty sure you can reduce the file size in the windows software. You will need something no bigger than 3 mb to post. Then you will need a web hosting service so you will be able to post it to the web and send people links to it. If you can reduce it, email it to me and I will post it on my .mac site, and then I will send you the link so you can use it in one of your posts. OK?

Meanwhile, I will look at the windows movie thing and see if I can figure it out.

alarson2 said:
Well let's see. Hmmmmm. No Hummers yet.

How did you get that video? Digital camera? camcorder? See, I have spent a fortune on the gear I have here- My video software was $1300. I can convert any file to any other file with Final Cut Pro. You are using windows right? There is a movie maker in XP I think- Import that clip to "MovieMaker" and look around in there to see if you can resize the clip for email or web. I convert all mine to mp4- I don't know if that will be an option for you- I think AVI is your native format. I'm pretty sure you can reduce the file size in the windows software. You will need something no bigger than 3 mb to post. Then you will need a web hosting service so you will be able to post it to the web and send people links to it. If you can reduce it, email it to me and I will post it on my .mac site, and then I will send you the link so you can use it in one of your posts. OK?

Meanwhile, I will look at the windows movie thing and see if I can figure it out.

I'm on Windows 2000 Pro (don't like XP at all). The video was shot with my normal digital camera. It's 640x480 in .mpg format. I have no video editing software, as this is the very first one I've ever shot. I don't have a digital camcorder.

Tammie said:
I believe you are talking about a female brown headed cowbird.
Thanks Tammie and Alan for the ID. I've learned a few new birds from watching your videos. Most of the birds you have I don't get at my feeders, or I get Western variations. My bird book says brown headed cowbirds are here in the summer. I'll have to keep a look out for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back