• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nature's golf tees (1 Viewer)

JMikeB

Could anyone ID these plants which look like golf tees? Took the photo while testing the macro capabilities of my Colpix 4500.

Thanks

Attachments

• Moss.jpg
    Moss.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 166
JMikeB said:
Could anyone ID these plants which look like golf tees? Took the photo while testing the macro capabilities of my Colpix 4500.

Thanks

This is one of the 'pixie-cup lichens', species of Cladonia.

It looks like your one has small red spots around the edge of the cup, which would make it the common and very variable Cladonia coccifera.
(Or actually Cladonia diversa if this is accepted as a separate species from true C. coccifera.)

Edit: Oh no it isn't! See my post below. This is Cladonia fimbriata.

If you search the forum you'll find a bunch of pictures of these pixie-cup lichens were posted back in the spring. With the wetter weather, looks like they are freshening up and becoming photogenic again!

Nice picture.

Alan

Last edited:
Silver said:
This is one of the 'pixie-cup lichens', species of Cladonia.

It looks like your one has small red spots around the edge of the cup, which would make it the common and very variable Cladonia coccifera.
(Or actually Cladonia diversa if this is accepted as a separate species from true C. coccifera.)

If you search the forum you'll find a bunch of pictures of these pixie-cup lichens were posted back in the spring. With the wetter weather, looks like they are freshening up and becoming photogenic again!

Nice picture.

Alan

Thanks for the info, Alan. Much appreciated. I found these lichens fascinating for no reason I can put my finger on.

JMikeB said:
Thanks for the info, Alan. Much appreciated. I found these lichens fascinating for no reason I can put my finger on.

Well, thanks ... but I would have been more helpful if I had got the thing right!

On my office monitor those dots look more brown than red, and now back at home I think they are brown.
I was thinking that C. coccifera is not usually so neat as that (though sometimes it can be).

With the long, slender stem to the cup and tiny brown dots (which are the areas where the sexual spores are released, equivalent to a mushroom's gills) - this is another of the pixie-cup lichens, Cladonia fimbriata.
Also common.

Apologies. Yes, these pixie-cup lichens are fascinating ... but tricky!

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back