• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Quail? (1 Viewer)

Arsenal Birder

Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to put together a 'World List' of birds seen over the years and need a little help. In the mid 90's i went on a non-birding ski-trip to Lake Tahoe. It was in the depths of Winter (December). On the approach to Lake Tahoe we stopped at some stores and I went wandering for birds. In a near by residential back garden was a covey of 20+ quail which were feeding amonst the deep snow. I never got a great view but presumed they were either California or Gambel's. If one of these could be ruled out then I could add one to my list.

Any help much appreciated

AB

we have a couple of things in common....Arsenal, Lake Tahoe and the task of remembering all those USA birds to build a world list....it's not easy looking back to put names to the memories. I've been to the states 12 times and clocled up a fair list (before I listed) but recording it now is harder than I'd imagined...your California or Gambles question (two quite different birds) reflects how hard it can be to back rack these workld lists......I also have the same issue with Raptors in Germany.
Sorry I can't help but a do have a little empathy.

Hi Everybody,

I never got a great view but presumed they were either California or Gambel's. If one of these could be ruled out then I could add one to my list.

Any help much appreciated

AB

There's also the Mountain Quail. Did they have topknots pointing forward, or backward?

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back