• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

opticron GS 665 GA 45 (1 Viewer)

midlands birder

hi guys

i have decided to get the scope that is mentioned in the title, i went for the GA as the ED version was far out of my price range.

just asking whether its a decent scope(it already far supasses my old scope), and whats good/ bad with it;)

just looking ahead to what im in for:-O
ive heard its a decent scope
MB

Hi MB,

I used to own the ED version with SDL zoom. Very nice scope. I was very happy with it for four years but I traded up to a larger objective for more light gathering.

Some people don't like the dual focuser as they say it is too fiddly but I never had a problem with it. Can be a bit awkward with gloves on but so can they all I find.

Some say that it is not very sturdy but if you look after it that shouldn't be a problem. I'm not really a clumsy person so I never had a problem keeping it in good condition.

I liked its light weight. With a light tripod I could carry it on my shoulder all day, no problem.

What eyepiece will you be using with it? I often wondered if I should have tried it with a fixed mag one before I sold it. I have a zoom on my present scope (ES80 ED) but have just bought a fixed 23x to use as well. I get a brighter image and wider fov. I think I prefer fixed e/ps.

Hope you like it. I'm pretty sure you will.

Martin.

Hi MB,

I used to own the ED version with SDL zoom. Very nice scope. I was very happy with it for four years but I traded up to a larger objective for more light gathering.

Some people don't like the dual focuser as they say it is too fiddly but I never had a problem with it. Can be a bit awkward with gloves on but so can they all I find.

Some say that it is not very sturdy but if you look after it that shouldn't be a problem. I'm not really a clumsy person so I never had a problem keeping it in good condition.

I liked its light weight. With a light tripod I could carry it on my shoulder all day, no problem.

What eyepiece will you be using with it? I often wondered if I should have tried it with a fixed mag one before I sold it. I have a zoom on my present scope (ES80 ED) but have just bought a fixed 23x to use as well. I get a brighter image and wider fov. I think I prefer fixed e/ps.

Hope you like it. I'm pretty sure you will.

Martin.

hi martin

i was thinking of getting the HR 27X WA eyepiece simply because i like about 25 x magnification and that i simply cant afford the higher priced eyepieces, but this will only be a starter eyepiece and when i bulid up some money again i will go for one of the HDF or SDL eyepieces(one of the reasons i wanted a scope like this, you can upgrade your eyepiece.

im glad you gave a good review of it, giving me something to look towards nowo:D

im usually not that clumsy so i should be ok with that too.

and with the duel focousing i have thin fingers so it shouldent be too hard to get used too
MB

I think thin fingers are the key to happily using the focuser so you should be fine.

Eyepieces- I should said previously- I just bought HDF 40810 from Warehouse Express for £40. It's the old model with the fold down rubber eyecup. WHE didn't make that plain to me when they sold it and their website shows the latest model so I am not best impressed with them but the e/p is fine. Opticron tell me that optically there is no difference between the two.

It gives 23x on my ES80 but only 18x on the GS665 so probably not strong enough.

What I am saying though is, if you get the HR e/p and then keep an eye out for shop sales sales and stuff on here and Ebay, I reckon you'll soon find a cheap HDF.

I think thin fingers are the key to happily using the focuser so you should be fine.

Eyepieces- I should said previously- I just bought HDF 40810 from Warehouse Express for £40. It's the old model with the fold down rubber eyecup. WHE didn't make that plain to me when they sold it and their website shows the latest model so I am not best impressed with them but the e/p is fine. Opticron tell me that optically there is no difference between the two.

It gives 23x on my ES80 but only 18x on the GS665 so probably not strong enough.

What I am saying though is, if you get the HR e/p and then keep an eye out for shop sales sales and stuff on here and Ebay, I reckon you'll soon find a cheap HDF.

thanks for the tips martin:t:
just hope this weather stops long enough so opticron can deliver the scope to the dealer,:t:
if anyone from opticron is reading this please dispatch your scopes:-O

Martin.

I have a (non-opticron) scope very similar to the ES80 ED, and use a 30x Wide eyepiece on it and love that. Only use a zoom if you go for the absolute top of the line one.

Niels

HEY
i have got my new scope as said and i am very happy with it, scoped a shelduck asleap on an island in the middle of a local NR and was pleased with the contrast and colours of the image, also was very happy when i scoped a sleeping flock of 8 snipe together in a scopeful. i did note a slight 'cold' tinge to the images in bright sunshine though, but easily forgotton about, i find the duel focousing easy to use and quite helpfull, here's a pic of the new scope on my local patch:t:
SDC10961.JPG
thks for the help
MB

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back