• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wagtail in Nigeria (1 Viewer)

Dan drough

Another picture from Bonny Island - SE Nigeria at the end of the Niger (S of Port Harcourt). Taken on 01 Jan 2003.
A Yellow Wagtail - (I think) but which race?

Attachments

• 100NIKON-DSCN0128_DS#118B49.jpg
    100NIKON-DSCN0128_DS#118B49.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 140
I think so as well but the feathers are a bit rough! Faint supercillium etc but I don't have a good wagtail book (too tedious for my taste) like immature gulls etc but when you do get one its nice to know for sure.
According to the excellent and indispensable BOU "The Birds of Nigeria" by Ellwood et al (2nd Ed) M. f. flava "is widespread and predominant, thunbergi, iberiae, cinereocapilla, feldegg and superciliaris, more local and less numerous. Claims for other races, notably flavissima, are not substantiated.
the racial distribution pattern is complex. About 40,000 have been ringed in Nigeria and recoveries are numerous in N. Africa from Morocco to Libya and in Europe from France to Turkey north to Finland and Russia. Birds ringed in Bulgaria, Denmark, Finland, Poland, Italy, Sweden and Russia have been recovered in Nigeria."

Therefore, by % it is worth looking closely at M. f. flava as well.

Unfortunately I don't have Vol 4 of Birds of Africa - anyone got one for sale?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan drough said:
How do you use italic icon for a Latin name - I only rabged on the name but the whole paragraph has gone?

Hi Dan,

Click on the 'edit' button of your post and you will see the formatting I used. Edit it again to get it how you want it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back