• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Food for ground feeders? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Does anyone know of a suitable food/seed for ground feeders?

This winter I will be watching part of a local minor river valley,in the past the adjoining farmland has produced some localy scarce birds like tree sparrow,
brambling and linnet flocks.

Not being able to establish any kind of regular feeding stations, i'm thinking of laying down some ground seed etc? on bare patches in the set aside field.
Hopefully this may replicate conditions two years ago when a large amount of
seed/grain was spilt by the farmer,this resulted in a feeding frenzy by the
winter flocks of sparrows,linnets,yellow hammers etc.

My idea is to lay some food down in the late evening and visit the area early next morning to record the ''goodies''.Anyone else tried this?

Matt

Last edited:
hi mat i would try a propriatry brand sutch as bamfords top flight wild bird food or better still there four seasonds whtch has a good mix of small finchy seeds. If you supliment this with an equal weight of roughly liquidised peanuts you should do fine .Try to feed at the same time every day then once you stop reduce feeding over 2or3 weeks good spotting

Cheers dafi

I just googled ''bamfords'' and was directed to their website,pretty sure I can order some from the local pet store.I've posted a link below for anyone else
who might be interested in their products.

I also see you have very recently joined us,so hi and welcome to birdforum.

Matt

www.bamfords.co.uk

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back