• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calling on the forum for more bird ID help... (1 Viewer)

OK, I've got a few more... Some will seem almost silly to ask, but I just can't be convinced by some of the traits...
Picture 1: (Unconfirmed2) Looks like a starling, but has more feathers in head area... Took picture in NY in summer 2009
Picture 2: (Unconfirmed3) Another picture from Glen Cove, LI from summer '09, body size of a starling but what...?
I have two more that I'll post to this thread on the next msg.

Attachments

• Unconfirmed 2.JPG
    Unconfirmed 2.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Unconfirmed 3.JPG
    Unconfirmed 3.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 180
Thanks Jane! I'll post a reply on this thread tomorrow (as I can't upload any more pics today apparently...) with the two other birds in question.
I've never used forums before- And this warm welcome truly makes this one of my favorite online experiences!

The second appears to be a juvie American Robin.

I don't know what kind of problems you are having with uploads as you should be able to upload 5 pics per post so if it continues, let us know.

These two are my last for now... I promise...

The first is likely a sterling, except the body seems very stocky and the bill is too long. Also the picture was taken in Summer '09 in ORLANDO, FL... Do they have Sterlings in FLA???
The second bird I have no clue... Maybe a warbler of some kind? Taken Summer '09 in Staten Island, NY. Bird is smaller than a catbird, but bigger than a sparrow. Any clues?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Unconfirmed5.JPG
    Unconfirmed5.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 69
  • SterlingOrlando.jpg
    SterlingOrlando.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 66
Both of your photos in post #7 are European Starlings. The first a juvenile.

Feel free to post other photos. But if you start a new thread, please put the location in the title of thread (see sticky at the top of the Bird Id subforum).

Best,
Jim

Both birds in post #7 are Starlings too. The one on the left is a juvenile with a little bit of first basic plumage (the dark, white-tipped feathers) showing through. The right one is more "adult-like" in plumage (but with some spots left - eventually, they wear off, leaving the breast all-dark.) That's what makes them a bit of a challenge - juvvie looks very different from first fall/winter bird, which in turn looks very different from summer adult.
And to answer your other question ... Florida? Yes, there are a lots of European Starlings in the U.S., just about everywhere!

A juvvie Starling? Really??? That's one I'd never have guessed. The body seems different, the stance is more upright, the feathers are nothing like the adult version, and the beak is not only a different color, but it also seems slimmer. I'm glad you guys could ID it because I really had no clue... Thanks all!

Starling ageing

The first IS a European Starling, a bird moulting out of juvenile plumage into 1st winter.

Both birds in post #7 are Starlings too. The one on the left is a juvenile with a little bit of first basic plumage (the dark, white-tipped feathers) showing through. The right one is more "adult-like" in plumage (but with some spots left - eventually, they wear off, leaving the breast all-dark.) That's what makes them a bit of a challenge - juvvie looks very different from first fall/winter bird, which in turn looks very different from summer adult.

A juvenile Starling is brown. It acquires a black plumage with white spots during the postjuvenile moult, which is usually complete. Eventually the spots wear off, but not until next spring.

The first photo in post #1 shows a bird that is essentially black with brown wings. Because of the black body without white spots, it can't be a juvenile or a first winter bird, so it is a worn adult (at least 2cy).

The first photo in post #7 shows a moulting juvenile (note the broad white tips to the fresh feathers), and the second photo in post #7 a moulting adult (the forebody is uniformly black, so it can't be a 1cy bird).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back