• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BirdLife releases 2010 Red List for birds; extinction announced (1 Viewer)

Have to agree with you.
Very disappointing that no one seems to be interested. If birders can't get stirred up by this news then we're really in trouble!!
Sad

I guess the problem is "what can you say?". Nothing will bring a species back from extinction; all we can do is to continue efforts to ensure that other species don't go the same way. Maybe people see a distinction between this particular news item and persecution and other conservation issues connected with living species (e.g. Spoon-billed Sandpipers), for which Bird Forum has many lively threads.

David

Well, the depressing news refers to the 'official' classification of Tachybaptus rufolavatus as extinct by BLI/IUCN. But I doubt that this is a surprise to anyone - Cornell/Clements has classified the species as extinct for several years, and African Bird Club, Dickinson 2003 (H&M3) and Ogilvie & Rose 2003 (Grebes) also considered it to be probably extinct.

Richard

Last edited:
Well, the depressing news refers to the 'official' classification of Tachybaptus rufolavatus as extinct by BLI/IUCN. But I doubt that this is a surprise to anyone - Cornell/Clements has classified the species as extinct for several years, and African Bird Club, Dickinson 2003 (H&M3) and Ogilvie & Rose 2003 (Grebes) also considered it to be probably extinct.
Richard
Most people on BirdForum won't have heard of it before, I'd wager.

Although this is the first " official" confirmation, by BLI, that the grebe is extinct, as Richard pointed out, most birders have considered it extinct / hybridised out of existence for many years. The loss of any species is a terrible thing, and the importance of that loss cannot be trivialised, but more new species are being dicovered each year than are being lost. We just have to make sure that they - and the remaining species - are afforded the highest levels of protection possible.
Chris

Depressing news, but as others have said its been considered gone for a while.... what interests and worries me from that article is also the decline in Great Knot and Far Eastern Curlew... the Knot is as down 20%. This surely must mark drops in other wetland species from the same areas/habitat if these numerous birds are falling so fast due to changes in the environment through drainage etc, such as "the destruction of inter-tidal mudflats at Saemangeum in South Korea" which the article says correlates to the 20% decline...

And we all know the plight of Spoon billed Sands................

Depressed

Steph'

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back