• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Please, Oklahoma, USA (1 Viewer)

OK_Scissortail

Oklahoma State Bird
Here is a new visitor to the bird feeders today. It had turned off cold, yesterday was 74 today snow flurries all day. I have also included another shot from today while out birding of some Canada geese and a white goose with them. Snow or Ross? I didn't know if the Ross were smaller then the Snow or not so figured I would just post.

The first one -Brown Headed Cowbird?

Thanks

Attachments

• unidentified.jpg
    unidentified.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 67
  • geese1.jpg
    geese1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 102
nice male brown headed cowbird, think your goose looks plausible for a Ross's, based on very small bill and size, but defer to experts.

Here is a closer look at the same photo cropped. Still not real good but the beak does seem to be short. I'll let you all decide. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• goose3.jpg
    goose3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 59
Ok guys and gals, need a little bit more help here. I have one plausible, one for sure vote for Ross....anyone want to second or even third the for sure vote for Ross?

Comparing the size of your "white goose" to the size of the Canada Geese, I'd say it looks good for Ross'.....though it would be easier for me if there were some Snow Geese in there as well so I could be 100%.

Thank you everyone, appreciate the confirmation on this. I wanted to be sure before I put this one down as a Lifer. Thought I might have to wait until next Winter to see one. Today I was just browsing down some back dirt roads near some wheat fields hoping to spot some geese. Found this Ross alone with a flock of Canada Geese. Glad the snow didn't stop me from getting out to bird. :)

Thanks again everyone! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back