• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should Kate Humble be the new RSPB President? (1 Viewer)

Should Kate Humble be the next President of the RSPB

• Yes

Votes: 106 33.5%
  • No

Votes: 142 44.9%
  • Don't Mind

Votes: 68 21.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdforum

Administrator
Please cast your vote in the poll.
What are the member's views on the news that Kate Humble is to be the next President of the RSPB?

I find her not very knowledgeable when it comes to Birds and it annoyed me that she used to talk over Bill Oddie telling him about Birds and the majority of the time she got it wrong,

If they wanted a famous face to be president why not Bill Oddie or even Chris Packham who seems to know what he talking about.

Not voted yet, am interested to know what the president of the RSPB is responsible for before I do, and whether anyone else was in the frame (was there a vote for example?). I presume that it's not the day-to-day running of the organisation, is it more of a figure head-type position?

I presume that it's not the day-to-day running of the organisation, is it more of a figure head-type position?

Yep, that's also my understanding on the role of RSPB president. She won't have a red button in front of her to nuke Titchwell ;)

I would have thought someone with a little more gravitas should fill this position.

POP

So Julian Pettifer is stepping down as President then?

I found a story on the RSPB site from 2007 that she's becoming a new vice-president (along with Chris Packham, and joining Bill Oddie and David Attenborough), but not president itself. Is this a more recent appointment then?

She's a Vice President of the WWT too (again, along with Chris Packham).

I agree that a person of gravitas is needed.
David Attenborough would be a good choice. He is not going to be around for ever, and would appreciate being asked, even if he feels he is too busy for this role.

It seems a shame that the best qualification for a job is to be famous...and to have been seen on TV......... Rather than the best person for the job.

I like her and am sure she will do a good job... but is she best qualified?

It seems a shame that the best qualification for a job is to be famous...and to have been seen on TV......... Rather than the best person for the job.

But for this public face/figurehead those qualifications might define the best person for the job.

Bill

I should much prefer that Kate Humble becomes the next Dixon housekeeper.

On the other side of the coin, Stephen Fry for RSPB President.

John

I don't think anyone has answered my query about whether Julian Pettifer is actually stepping down or not as president. I've not found anything on any website to say Kate Humble has been asked to be the new president, just references to her being a vice-president.

Does anyone have a source for this?

Ta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back