• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (3 Viewers)

Nah Brian, just stick my finger in the air and they land on it. Very obliging. ;)

Attachments

• NET CLOUDED YELLOW.jpg
    NET CLOUDED YELLOW.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 211
mark bailey said:
The Cattle Egret was still showing late morning today and had been present all morning. Apparently started getting a bit flighty again around 12.30 pm. Easiest directions are From Exeter drive to Newton Poppleford then take the Budleigh road at the roundabout...after a mile you get to Collaton Raleigh and just after the village sign turn left into Church Road. Drive to the end and park before the cattle grid. Walk over the cattle grid and there is a kissing gate right in front (the entrance to the farm is to the right). Follow the path round and bear right along the riverbank (so that you are walking south) and after about 100 yards start scanning the grassy fields. When I was there the Cattle Egret and 6 Little Egrets were at the back of the 2nd field down directly below the farm buildings. A couple of Little Egrets did fly over the hedge and out of view at one point and I think the Cattle Egret did this as well after I left, but it always seems to come back..Amazing to think that just 3 years ago, there hadn't been an acceptable Cattle Egret in Devon for 17 years and now this is the 4th widely twitchable one since.
Thanks for the directions Mark. Actually ventured off-patch this morning, and detoured to see the Cattle Egret. Without these directions I probably would not have bothered to work out, on a map, where the bird actually was. So you are partially responsible for my second Devon twitch in the last 15 years! Hope you haven't started something..........

Gavin Haig said:
Thanks for the directions Mark. Actually ventured off-patch this morning, and detoured to see the Cattle Egret. Without these directions I probably would not have bothered to work out, on a map, where the bird actually was. So you are partially responsible for my second Devon twitch in the last 15 years! Hope you haven't started something..........

Glad to oblige Gavin, glad you got it.....real cracker I reckon....perhaps it will go a small way to repaying all the times you and the boys successfully got me over your way last year and at the start of this year...

Last edited:
2 Bewick's Swans on Exe from BGM viewing platform at 1600 but afraid they flew off North at 1630 and looked like they weren't going to stop.......................???

A Serin seen just past the hide this afternoon but didn't have time to look. The field behind the hide has quite a few Linnet I'm told so worth a look tomorrow...

Snow Bunting till dusk at Hope's Nose I'm told.

Darted down the M5 with Ian and got to the viewing platform for dusk. Just about picked out three Mute Swans. Stopped looking when we got the report that they had flown north.

Hope they decided to turn back and settle on Exminster Marshes.

The Snow Bunting was still at Hopes Nose first thing this morning showing exceptionally well around the point... Its been there 3 days now though can dissapear at times for long periods. This morning it found me by flying in around the corner calling and landing in front of me...very nice. Otherwise pretty quiet with just 6 Common Scoters offshore...

On a different note, it would be nice to think that there are some 'Exe ' Brents in the flock on The Fleet and that they are going to transport a Devon tick our way...its can only be another 40 miles or so for them ?

On a different note, it would be nice to think that there are some 'Exe ' Brents in the flock on The Fleet and that they are going to transport a Devon tick our way...its can only be another 40 miles or so for them ?

And that it choses the 'right' end of the Exe.

However I've been waiting/searching for that Black Brant for three winters so I'm not going to get my hopes up!

Kev Rylands said:
And that it choses the 'right' end of the Exe.

However I've been waiting/searching for that Black Brant for three winters so I'm not going to get my hopes up!

They had a Black Brant on the Fleet as well today, so that's two chances/reasons for you to keep looking Kev...it is bound to happen one day ? What is it, 18 years since the last and only one in Devon, so long overdue to give us all another chance..

Had a swell morning. Went to Okement Hill with Ian at first light and it was a beautiful morning, no wind and glorious sunshine, cold mind.

After an hour's walk, we reached the approach to Hangingstone Hill and a male RED GROUSE flew off from the track. Flushed it again a bit later when checking out a skittish passerine that turned out to be a Wren. Exciting stuff in a perfect setting.

Berry Head wasn't so obliging as we did a warbler search. Only managed three Goldcrests, two Chiffchaffs and three Blackcaps (2m & 1f).

The juvenile WOODCHAT SHRIKE was still present this morning giving reasonable scope views from the road..It had moved from the original field with the round straw bales and had flown across the road and down into the valley. From Marlborough head out towards Soar and park where the road forks (right for Soar Mill Cove , straight on for East Soar). Walk back 100 yards or so and the bird was to the east of the road on hedges around the house about 100 yards from the road. As far as I can see it is not surprisingly only the 2nd November record in Devon...the other being at Slapton in 1978 amazingly found on the same date of November 4th.

Very quite on Isley Marsh this afternoon. Only saw 2 Spoonbills - not sure if the other 16 that were there have gone, could be that they were at Braunton marshes or Skern.

spoonbills

Roy C said:
Very quite on Isley Marsh this afternoon. Only saw 2 Spoonbills - not sure if the other 16 that were there have gone, could be that they were at Braunton marshes or Skern.
Ask them to hang around till Tuesday, Roy! This may be a naive question but have avocets ever been sighted in North Devon?
Sue

The superb Woodchat Shrike returned to the hedge (field with hay bales) at the end of the day and showed well. Appeared to be roosting there so may be present tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• NET WOODCHAT.jpg
    NET WOODCHAT.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 149
sooseee said:
Ask them to hang around till Tuesday, Roy! This may be a naive question but have avocets ever been sighted in North Devon?
Sue
Yes Sue, I have seen avocets on the Taw near Barnstaple but only a few times.

RBA reported that two female Scaups were on Wistlandpound Reservoir yesterday so I went up for a look.

No sign unfortunately. About eight or nine Tufted Ducks and a single drake Mandarin Duck. 150+ Redwings flew over too.

The reservoir is used by an activity centre for boating stuff so they may have been flushed off this morning.

Hopefully it will not be too long before the next ones.

The juv Woodchat Shrike was east of the road again this morning, showing pretty well in the trees around the house there (Furzedown, I think its called). It was being mobbed quite a bit, including a Cirl bunting at one point.

Had more Cirl Buntings, a Dartford Warbler and a Firecrest later, down at West Soar. Nice views of the both Darty and Firecrest, although the latter shot off into cover and I couldn't relocate it :(

No sign of any Spoonbills at Isley Marsh this afternoon - hope they have not gone for good. Resorted to snapping a few Stonechats (see attached)

Attachments

• b3.JPG
    b3.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 160
Roy C said:
No sign of any Spoonbills at Isley Marsh this afternoon - hope they have not gone for good. Resorted to snapping a few Stonechats (see attached)
Roy, I made it down to Isley Marsh just as the sun was setting and three spoonbills were just coming in to land by three more, so at least six are still about.
Sue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back