• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Returning to birding (1 Viewer)

hornet

Hello from someone who knows even less about Internet forums than he does about 'little brown jobs'.

I'm not at all sure what I'm doing, but I'm confident you will all forgive me a few beginner's errors (birding and computing). I've been browsing the site for a few weeks and it seems like a friendly place.

Actually, beginner might not be the right word for my birding. I'm a returner really. I was keen as a child (YOC member etc) and then I got distracted for 25-odd years. My loss.

I got hooked again on a chance visit to Minsmere at the start of this year and now, here I am.

Because I caught the birding bug there, I have huge affection for Minsmere and East Anglia. However, it can be a bit of a long haul for a day's birding. So I'm always interested in advice on places to go in Warwickshire and the West Midlands (especially locally in South Warwickshire).

Hi hornet,

On behalf of Admin and all the Moderators, WELCOME to BirdForum - and welcome back to birding.

You have found just the right place to help you get back onto your birding feet.

This place is full of birders of all nationalities, all abilities and all levels of "seriousness".

You're bound to fit in.

All mistakes, birding or computer, will be forgiven, so please join in as much as you can, and enjoy!

:t:

Hi Hornet,

There's a few ideas on places to go birding in Warwickshire and the West Midlands on my website. Just click on the www button at the bottom of this post.

--
Andy

Hi hornet, a very warm welcome from me! I'm sure you will find all the help you need here - welcome back to birding! =)

Hello Hornet - another welcome message! I was introduced to "The Birdwatcher's Yearbook" last year, and found it is a mine of information re:all things birding. It describes itself as "A complete reference work for all birdwatchers" - it might be worth a look.

Thanks for the welcome folks. The Midlands Birding website is fantastic Andy. I've been to Brandon a lot this summer which has been great. I now look forward to visiting some of the other venues.

Thanks for the 'heads-up' to The Birdwatcher's Yearbook, Elizabeth. I'll start looking for it straight away.

By the way, I envy the red kite watchers in Wales. I only ever get to see them while doing 80mph on the M40. Not the best time for a proper look! Such elegant birds.

Last edited:
Hello again hornet - we stayed in a hotel quite near Gigrin Farm a few years ago - I could drink my tea in bed in the morning, and watch the red kites.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back