• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is it? (Unknown location of origin) (1 Viewer)

Caged birds are a big no-no on this forum.
And it is not a bird I know.

Steve

I have frequently seen ID questions here about birds in capitivity at institutions. An institution generally holds birds for educational or conservation purposes, not as a personal pet. It is not a problem as far as I am concerned.

But what is a problem is that the photo won't load for me. It goes part way and then stops.

Best,
Jim

I have frequently seen ID questions here about birds in capitivity at institutions. An institution generally holds birds for educational or conservation purposes, not as a personal pet. It is not a problem as far as I am concerned.

But what is a problem is that the photo won't load for me. It goes part way and then stops.

Best,
Jim
Same problem here, but I can see enough of it to know that Mark is correct: Fire-tufted Barbet.

Jim is correct.

There is no problem with requesting an identification of a bird in this type of situation here in the Identification Sub-forum.

The bird labelled Peregrine on your page looks to me like a Lanner or Lanner hybrid (light chestnut crown, spotted breast).

Thanks Mark and everybody for your help. We have checked your suggestion and the bird has been correctly identified. We have given the credits for the identification on the relevant page in our site, citing this forum too.

Steve: the aim of MCH Portal is to promote love of nature and animals. People rarely have the opportunity to observe things they sometimes even see daily, let alone animals they don't have the opportunity to see. Also, we are hoping to provide some reference photos for identification. We had difficulties identifying the bird on the net even after your suggestions, due to not so good quality photos. In this respect, if any of you have good quality photos you would like to share we will be happy to consider them for publication (the site is a member of the Nikonians webring so please Nikon cameras only).

J. Moore: glad to see the photo of the pleco!!! We take it you are a fellow aquarist and Loricariid admirer too? If so, drop us a line on webmaster 'at' mchportal.com

Aikidoka: Thank you for your suggestion, we'll check it out and come back to you on this one later today!!!!

Finally, sorry to hear that the photo couldn't upload for some people. Please try www.mchportal.com and go to Photography, Macro and Nature, Birds (on the left hand side bar). That's the only way you can access the high magnification photos which is essential for identification. You will find birds in nature as well as in captivity there - and we are updating constantly.

Thanks again!!!!

Last edited:
Aikidoka: we checked our books and you have a point about the Lanner, the resemblance is striking particularly when it comes to the markings around the eyes. The spotted breast also appears on some peregrinus, from what we can see in the photos (eg http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobengr/2694345749/). We will be visiting the park in a few days and will double check with the keepers - will keep you posted.

Again, thanks for pointing this to us.

The original id (Lanner) was correct (note thin moustache with diffuse edges, streaked cheek and the rusty tones on the head).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back