• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID, unknown location (1 Viewer)

MLoyko

d[-_-]b
Hey all,

I was watching bird videos on youtube and was becoming frustrated at all the wrongly ID'd birds I was coming across so I decided to shed some light on people situations;)

I corrected a bunch but this one has me stumped. They said it was a Harrier which it clearly isn't to us and then the Red-tail suggestion made me respond.

I believe it to be a Cooper's hawk but the color and at one point I thought I saw a white supercilium making me think Goshawk.

What do you think so I can correctly correct their honest mistake!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLyEtpSX0hc&feature=related

-Matt

hmm, i don't know american juvenile accipters but i can safely say that bird identification on youtube is a thankless task.. i've lost count of all the comments that vehemently insist a sparrowhawk is a cooper's, despite being on the wrong side of the atlantic.

hmm, i don't know american juvenile accipters but i can safely say that bird identification on youtube is a thankless task.. i've lost count of all the comments that vehemently insist a sparrowhawk is a cooper's, despite being on the wrong side of the atlantic.

I agree with you but I was bored and thought I should say something, I don't I just have a thing when someone says something wrong, (no matter what it is) I want to say something because I know the right answer :-O weird I guess.

-Matt

What about Sharp-shinned? This was taken in British Columbia. Not sure what time of year. Sharpie's are there all summer and in the south and west year-round. Coopers onlyyear round in south and not in summer except one spot in southeast.

That's a coop, for sure. The cap is very distinct, and it lacks the head pattern and facial disk of a harrier.

...Anyone notice that the "Ravens" heard in the video are actually Crows?

I did, but I was already correcting them on the Raptor and didn't want to say somethign about the Corvids. :t:

Nice observation though, American crow right? Based on call.

-Matt

Nice observation though, American crow right? Based on call.

-Matt

Based on call a crow, based on range a Northwestern.

So instead of "Hawk attacks dove while Ravens circle overhead scolding it. Very noisy," the caption should read "Adult Cooper's Hawk eats Rock Pigeon while Northwestern Crows circle overhead scolding it. Very noisy," to be more correct. There is also another something scolding the bird. It could be a squirrel I suppose.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back