• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Gaoligongshan - Advice Sought (1 Viewer)

Frogfish

OK on Dev's, and other recommendations I've seen on here, I've pushed back the Fraser Hill trip to April and I am planning ca. 8 days (inc. 2 days traveling) to Gaoligongshan. Flights are cheapish but I'd like help with the itinerary and places to stay if anyone has any advice they would like to throw this way :t:

The trip will be mostly about the birds but of course if I'm in Dali then it'd be a shame not to use some of that time to see the best of the city too.

Thanks in advance !
Cheers B :)
Kevin

OK. It now seems I need to fly to Baoshan via Kunming then drive the 3 hours to Baihualing NR and stay at the reserve guesthouse. Any other options anyone has experienced ?

Hi Kevin,

You mean fly to Tengchong(Baoshan district too)? During my last year's trip to Dali n Tengchong, John Holmes trip report was extensively helpful and that's the only place i got more info about Yunnan especially the Gaoligongshan range.

http://johnjemi.hk/journey_tr/cn/yn08_03/index.html
http://johnjemi.hk/journey_tr/cn/yn09_09/introduction.html
http://johnjemi.hk/journey_tr/cn/yn09_03/Introduction.html

I dint do Gaoligongshan due to time constraint n public transport wasn't comfortable. So i did Tenchong instead not superior compared to Baihualing, but worked for me on budget basis.

He has mentioned a car rental agency in Tenchong but i could not locate it. Alternate option, Zuche has rental store in Dali n Lijiang. Cloudy tourist Walk in Dali is great but i didn't do great there. Early mornings are great for Lady A's chicken(6 males from 5.30-8AM). Higherland Inn is the only place to stay up on the mountain but the place was bit out of shape last year and the food was rubbish for the price but can doable with instant noodles n beef jerky for a night's stay and amazing night view of Dali from the Inn. There is also a mention of gravel track goes upto 3000m(Blood pheasant, Golden Bush Robin, Rufous-tailed Babbler), you can try that with the local drivers. The cable car @ Zhonghe temple is not in operation (As of April 2013). The higherland inn is close to zhonghe temple, now you need to take the cable car from the southern end and walk all the way to the higherland Inn, so take less gear. Not sure if there is any hotel near the southern end(Gantong temple).

Excellent info Dev. ! Thanks.

I can fly into Baoshan (via Kunming) which is a 5 hr journey from Shanghai and then it's between 1.5 and 3 hrs drive to the points in the area that I've seen mentioned. Dali is about 300kms away so too far really as I want to spend as much time birding as possible and not lose a day either way driving to/from Dali.

The 3 locations are ; Baihualin, Gaoligongshan Nature Reserve and Tengchong (this is the furthest point from Baoshan airport). The reserve holds ca. 524 species so a week there and I'll be hoping for 200 !

If I can hire a car at Baoshan airport then great ! Otherwise it will have to be public transport or taxis. I'll try to find good places to stay but don't fancy the US$150 a night at the reserve guesthouse within the reserve itself. Even the car itself will do (no easy access for Leopards ;) ) if I find myself on a mountain with nowhere to stay within easy driving distance :D

Last edited:
Flights are booked. Out on 21st March (arrive in Baoshan around 20.00) and returning on the 27th (will fly back to Kunming on the 26th and overnight there so that I have 7-8 hrs birding there on the 27th before the flight back to Shanghai).

Still looking for tips on accommodation in Baoshan, Gaoligongshan and Tengchong if anyone has recommendations. Thanks !

Change of flights, now going to Tengchong and not stopping a night in Kunming (staying an extra night at Gaoligongshan). Only car hire to book as hotels (Dongfang Xuanyi Holiday Hotel, Tengchong 230RMB) / Reserve bed (Baihualin / Gaoligongshan 200RMB) all booked. I'll have a few hours on the 21st and the morning of the 22nd at Laifengshan National Forest Park (Tengchong) before driving up to Baihualin. Excited !!

Looking forward to hearing how you do Kevin - Its a great spot - my gen for that trip was too old to be useful - but look out for Mrs Hume's Pheasant!

Cheers
Mike

Looking forward to hearing how you do Kevin - Its a great spot - my gen for that trip was too old to be useful - but look out for Mrs Hume's Pheasant!

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike. The chickens are in my sights (Blood Pheasant at the top, 4,000m, is my info and a target) :t:

If you 're going right to the top Sclater's Monal, Fire-tailed Myzornis and White-browed Robin are also possible!

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back