• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chinese Crested Tern (1 Viewer)

GWB77

Grafham Water Birder
Excuse my ignorance on this subject, but what chance is there of being able to connect with Chinese Crested Terns in the Qingdao area in May (or any time of year, for that matter!). I know the breeding population is ultra-small now, but I have no idea of the accessibility (or otherwise) for this critically endangered species. I will be in China in mid-May.

The place that's most reliable for them is outside Fuzhou. They breed on one of the Taiwanese islands just off the mainland coast.

Thanks Jeff, I did a little reading on the web last night, and it seems they are even more restricted than I realised.

Does anyone know if it is possible to see them on Wuzhishan islands, near Hong Kong?

the specimens around Qingdao were collected in 1930's.
in recent years there are a few records in migration in north China incl. Rizhao which is close to Qingdao.
I've surveyed some islands in summer in Shandong incl. the ones around Qingdao but found no sign of terns breeding.

If u mean Wuzhishan Islands in Zhejiang Province,it's better not to visit the breeding islands as they are disturbed too much by photographers.

The best way is to visit Minjiang Estuary near Fuzhou and thus u can avoid disturbing them in their breeding colonies.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back