• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod and head help (1 Viewer)

garymicheal

Hi everyone I today only gone and bought a second hand canon 600mm f4 lens now I would appreciate any help in pointing me in the direction of a tripod and head and maybe also a replacement foot to fit straight onto the head and any tips about the lens would also be greatfully received cheers gary

This is a VERY good time to ask this question!

I used to have the Canon 600 F4 L IIS Mk1 (now 800mm F5.6 L IS) and you need serious support for lenses like this!

The reason it is a good time to ask is that Gitzo have a sale on! It is a serious sale too - about half price - look here:

http://www.gitzo.co.uk/tripods-systematic?o=price

Yes that is brand new Gitzo tripods (direct frm Gitzo UK) for under £400! That is far cheaper than the Chinese copies! Although I am happy with my Gitzo GT3530LS with my 800mm I couldn't resist and bought the GT4542LS - and good though the 3530LS is, the 4542LS is better! They won't last long at these prices so do not delay. What appears to be happening is that they are being replaced by a newer model and tey are dumping "last year's" models. The replacement is £769.96 so £374.98 sounded a little better to me! This is the one I bought, I believe that there is nothing better currently available for your lens and Gitzo tripods last decades of abuse.

http://www.gitzo.co.uk/systematic-series-4-carbon-tripod-long-4-section-eye-level-gt4542ls

This will do all that you need with a 600mm and more. The alternatives from Feisol and Sirui are very good - but not quite as good and much more expensive compared to this deal with Gitzo.

As you may have guessed I am a bit of a Gitzo fan, but that is because I use them and having owned some others and tried many more - I simply don't want anything else!

As to Gimbal Heads, I use the Wimberley2 - hideously expensive, but as good as it gets! There are some very good/as good alternatives out there from the likes of Jobu etc but the really good ones are about the same price as the Wimberley give or take a little. Still if you buy one of the discounted Gitzo tripods then you will have change to get a Wimberley or a top Jobu. Do not cheap out as you will not get the best from this lens, I did and it didn't work.

Regarding the lens foot, I just use a longish Arca type QR plate attached to the normal lens foot and it works perfectly - mine is a Wimberley but others are just as good, it is only a lump of machined alloy after all so any decent quality one will do. I prefer not to use a replacement foot as it may limit your options if you want to use extenders - though I could be wrong!

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited:
I agree with Johnf3, Gitzo and wimberley are the gold standard. Just a quick note on the replacement foot: yes it seems like a good idea, but it didn't feel as secure to carry / lift the lens by the foot due to it being quite smooth and slim when I tried one. Also the smaller gap between the foot and the body could be an issue with winter gloves on.

In terms of general tips about the lens, I'm sure you already have done, but it's worth reading up on long lens technique, eg http://www.naturephotographers.net/ejp0801-1.html

Don't expect every shot to be brilliant...it takes a while and plenty of practice to start getting up to a decent percentage of keepers, and avoid poor light if you want very sharp photos, especially with a converter.

This is a VERY good time to ask this question!

I used to have the Canon 600 F4 L IIS Mk1 (now 800mm F5.6 L IS) and you need serious support for lenses like this!

The reason it is a good time to ask is that Gitzo have a sale on! It is a serious sale too - about half price - look here:

http://www.gitzo.co.uk/tripods-systematic?o=price

Yes that is brand new Gitzo tripods (direct frm Gitzo UK) for under £400! That is far cheaper than the Chinese copies! Although I am happy with my Gitzo GT3530LS with my 800mm I couldn't resist and bought the GT4542LS - and good though the 3530LS is, the 4542LS is better! They won't last long at these prices so do not delay. What appears to be happening is that they are being replaced by a newer model and tey are dumping "last year's" models. The replacement is £769.96 so £374.98 sounded a little better to me! This is the one I bought, I believe that there is nothing better currently available for your lens and Gitzo tripods last decades of abuse.

http://www.gitzo.co.uk/systematic-series-4-carbon-tripod-long-4-section-eye-level-gt4542ls

This will do all that you need with a 600mm and more. The alternatives from Feisol and Sirui are very good - but not quite as good and much more expensive compared to this deal with Gitzo.

As you may have guessed I am a bit of a Gitzo fan, but that is because I use them and having owned some others and tried many more - I simply don't want anything else!

As to Gimbal Heads, I use the Wimberley2 - hideously expensive, but as good as it gets! There are some very good/as good alternatives out there from the likes of Jobu etc but the really good ones are about the same price as the Wimberley give or take a little. Still if you buy one of the discounted Gitzo tripods then you will have change to get a Wimberley or a top Jobu. Do not cheap out as you will not get the best from this lens, I did and it didn't work.

Regarding the lens foot, I just use a longish Arca type QR plate attached to the normal lens foot and it works perfectly - mine is a Wimberley but others are just as good, it is only a lump of machined alloy after all so any decent quality one will do. I prefer not to use a replacement foot as it may limit your options if you want to use extenders - though I could be wrong!

Hope some of this helps.

thank you very much very helpful

I hope they still have one in stock for you! They have been going fast. If they have run out then the GT3532LS will do the job well:

http://www.gitzo.co.uk/systematic-series-3-carbon-tripod-long-3-section-eye-level-gt3532ls

I have been using it's predecessor (GT3530LS) for about 8 years and it does a very good job - the larger 4 series will just do it a little better - but either is fine!

dam all out of stock ive had to phone them to find out what's happening all tripods still showing on there site even though out of stock so im back searching for a tripod

dam all out of stock ive had to phone them to find out what's happening all tripods still showing on there site even though out of stock so im back searching for a tripod

It was too good to last! Pity.

There may be a suitable tripod for sale here in South Wales after Christmas.
My Gitzo GT3530LS will be up for grabs, but a friend has first refusal. If he wants it then his Gitzo Carbon Fiber tripod will be for sale. His is the older type which does not have the Anti Rotation leg locks - a little less convenient but no biggie.

Either of these tripods do a good job with the Canon 600 F4 L IS (Mk1) and Canon 800 F5.6 L IS - which is exactly what we use them for!

If you haven't found anything by mid January let me know if you are interested. Pity you live so far away as a "try before you buy" is always best.

It was too good to last! Pity.

There may be a suitable tripod for sale here in South Wales after Christmas.
My Gitzo GT3530LS will be up for grabs, but a friend has first refusal. If he wants it then his Gitzo Carbon Fiber tripod will be for sale. His is the older type which does not have the Anti Rotation leg locks - a little less convenient but no biggie.

Either of these tripods do a good job with the Canon 600 F4 L IS (Mk1) and Canon 800 F5.6 L IS - which is exactly what we use them for!

If you haven't found anything by mid January let me know if you are interested. Pity you live so far away as a "try before you buy" is always best.
hi John thanks for your help and your offer I've managed to get a gt4542ls from wrex cameras although lot more money but at least I've got one sorted thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back